Skip Navigation

[Closed] Link user to a specific post before becoming the author

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author
Divi Text editor.jpg

Tell us what you are trying to do?
We want to create a personal webpage for our book authors (we are a publishing house). Our staff would do this with a Toolset Post Type (Authors).
We created a User Form to Edit that post type on the front end after the user log in. However, since the user never edited the page, I cannot make it his "own page" in Access, and the page returns empty. We would like to link the user to that particular profile.

Also, we would like to let them create blog posts that would be linked to their personal page (Authors-Posts, with one to many relationship).

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I tried to follow this post, but in it the user creates their own profile. https://toolset.com/2022/12/how-to-let-wordpress-users-create-their-own-profiles-in-your-people-directory/

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?
klisia.org

PS unrelated: I am using Divi, and their text editor shows Toolset fields, but for some reason, they are not clickable. Printscreen attached. I saw some old posts about issues with this theme, but I am not sure how much things improved since then.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

If you want to create an author post type and then you want the actual authors to be able to edit their own author post then you should make the author user the author of (i.e. publisher of) the profile post. Then in Access you can grant permission for the author users to edit their own author posts. (You will also be allowing them to edit their own blog posts, which you can connect to the author posts.)

You may find it easier to dispense with an author post type altogether.

You can let the authors register as users with, say, an author role.

With WordPress they then automatically get a "home page", which is their author archive, that lists the blog posts they have published.

You can customise this author archive so that it contains other information (e.g. profile picture, some about-me text, agent details etc.). You would create custom user fields to store such information, and then create a custom author archive to output it before you output the list of their blog posts.

That sounds like a simpler set up than what you are currently describing.

As for the buttons not working in the Divi editor, do you see any errors in the browser console?

Thanks! I need the Author Post Type because I also have Books as a post type, with many-to-many relationships (for co-authored works). So the Author's page would both have the post archives and the View of their Books. Do you think this makes sense?

Regarding Divi, yes, there are many errors such as this"
caught Error: cannot call methods on dialog prior to initialization; attempted to call method 'option'
at Function.error (jquery.min.js?ver=3.6.3:2:2616)
at HTMLDivElement.<anonymous> (core.min.js?ver=1.13.2:116:2055)
at Function.each (jquery.min.js?ver=3.6.3:2:3003)
at e.<computed>.each (jquery.min.js?ver=3.6.3:2:1481)
at x.fn.<computed> [as dialog] (core.min.js?ver=1.13.2:116:1794)
at toolset-shortcode.js?ver=4.2.0:596:26
at Function.N (underscore.min.js?ver=1.13.4:2:9429)
at self.repositionDialog (toolset-shortcode.js?ver=4.2.0:595:11)
at toolset-shortcode.js?ver=4.2.0:576:14
at u (underscore.min.js?ver=1.13.4:2:16295)

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for sharing these details.

If you have to link multiple post types with the 'Authors', then yes, it would be a better approach to keep the 'Authors' post type, as the central anchoring post.
( inline to what is suggested in this guide that you referred to: https://toolset.com/2022/12/how-to-let-wordpress-users-create-their-own-profiles-in-your-people-directory/ )

In summary, after registering and logging in, the user will see the form to create an 'Author Profile' post, on the 'My Account' page.
(each user will have exactly only one 'Author Profile' post)

On the same 'My Account' page, the user will also see the forms to add or edit the other linked items like posts, books, etc.

The single 'Author Profile' post of each user will act as the personal webpage of that author and will list the connected items (like posts, books etc), through respective views.

In case, you face any difficulty in setting up the website this way, you're welcome to share temporary admin login information along with the details about the challenge.

Note: Your next reply will be private and making a complete backup copy is recommended before sharing the access details.

As for Divi's text editor's error, I'll also take a look into this, once you'll share the temporary admin access details.

regards,
Waqar

The topic ‘[Closed] Link user to a specific post before becoming the author’ is closed to new replies.