Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset with Divi

This support ticket is created 3 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author

Hi,

I use Divi and its builder on my website. To create a directory website, I used Types to create custom post types and custom fields and relationships and I use Views shortcodes to display everything with a filtered search (like here for instance: hidden link)

I understand that it is better now to use Toolset Blocks. So I got a few questions:
- do I need to stop Views and recreate the content with Blocks?
- can I use shortcodes again to put inside a Divi text module to display the content created with Toolset?
- and finally, could you confirm that the proper way of doing this is:
First, create the custom post type and its related custom fields, taxonomy, relationship.
Second, use the Content Templates and build templates using Toolset Blocks (as if it were Views, in some way)
Third, display the content template created usng a shortcode?

Thanks for your time, looking forward to reading from you!

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

Before moving to your specific questions, it is important to clarify the role of the Toolset Blocks.

As mentioned in the announcement post ( ref: https://toolset.com/2019/12/toolset-blocks-1-0-build-beautiful-dynamic-sites-quickly-and-easily/ ), the goal behind the Toolset Blocks is to simplify the workflow, by eventually eliminating the need for third-party page builders like Divi, Elementor, etc.

Toolset Blocks is designed to enhance the functionality of WordPress' new page builder Gutenberg ( ref: https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ ) and is not expected to be used with another page builder like Divi.

In summary, the workflow would be to either continue using Toolset Views + Divi ( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/toolset-divi-integration/ ) or start using Toolset Blocks + Gutenberg. This all depends on personal preferences and design requirements.

This FAQ entry further elaborates the difference between the Toolset Views and Blocks:
https://toolset.com/faq/whats-the-difference-between-toolset-blocks-and-toolset-views-plugins/

Now, moving to your questions:

> do I need to stop Views and recreate the content with Blocks?
- You don't have to recreate your already created content through the Blocks plugin.

As explained above, Toolset Blocks should be used on new websites, where you're using Gutenberg as the main/primary page builder.

And if you'd prefer to keep using Divi builder or WordPress' classic editor where shortcodes and HTML tags are combined, then you can keep using Toolset Views (without the need of Toolset Blocks).

> can I use shortcodes again to put inside a Divi text module to display the content created with Toolset?
- Yes, when you'll be working with Divi builder, then you'll need to use Toolset shortcodes to show Toolset data/content.
( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/toolset-divi-integration/ )

> and finally, could you confirm that the proper way of doing this is:
> First, create the custom post type and its related custom fields, taxonomy, relationship.
- These steps will remain the same whether you're using "Toolset Views + Divi" or "Toolset Blocks + Gutenberg".

> Second, use the Content Templates and build templates using Toolset Blocks (as if it were Views, in some way)
- If you're using "Toolset Views + Divi", then you'll be creating your content templates through the Divi builder and if you're using "Toolset Blocks + Gutenberg", then you'll be creating them through the Block's editor.

> Third, display the content template created usng a shortcode?
- As explained above, there are two different paths of either going with "Toolset Views + Divi" or "Toolset Blocks + Gutenberg". An important point to remember is not to mix Toolset Block elements with the Divi builder.

I hope this explanation helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

Hello Waqar,

Thanks for your reply, clear as crystal. I thought at first that Views was deprecated and found myself thinking shoot, I just launched a directory website with a deprecated plugin...

As you explained, I know now that I have a choice and at this point I feel more comfortable using Views and shortcodes and the Divi Builder as well. I tried to get my head around Gutenberg blocks yesterday but I switched back to Divi whenver I could.

I'll keep using Views for now then, and who knows, perhaps, both Divi and Blocks will useable someday.
Regards,

Hello stefanp, I'm a Divi user and I've just bought Toolset but Im really struggling and my deadline is this friday! No pressure hey. It just doesnt seem to like anything I do, everything feels slow too. I've watched the videos and feel confident to build the directory but it doesnt display right. Do you have any tips when using Divi with Toolset? I know it isnt really supported so Im just using Toolset on its own pages without Divi. I've just downloaded views plugin thinking I will give that ago instead. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. Thank you

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.