Skip Navigation

[Escalated to 2nd Tier] Unable to preview when using WPML Groups in Toolse Access

This support ticket is created 3 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

Author

Hi!

I already reported this bug, but I think it was never solved.

If I create a WPML Group in Toolset Access (let's say "French Pages") and give all permissions to a custom role named "French Editor", users with this role are able to publish and edit french pages, but they are not able to preview drafts (instead they get a 404 page). Actually, the only role that is able to preview drafts in a WPML group is the administrator (not even editors with all permissions are able to preview drafts).

Could you please have a look?

Related support tickets:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/custom-role-not-able-to-preview-private-draft-posts-pages/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/custom-role-cannot-preview-pages-access-wpml/

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

I've checked the report and noticed that a fix for this specific issue was included in the Toolset Access 2.8.
( ref: https://toolset.com/errata/access-custom-role-users-cannot-preview-draft-or-pending-posts-although-in-a-wpml-group-with-needed-permissions/ )

Can you please make sure that WordPress, active theme and all plugins are updated to the latest versions?

In case the issue still persists, you're welcome to share temporary admin login details so that I can check all the settings? This will help in reproducing this on a test website.

Note: Your next reply will be private and please make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

regards,
Waqar

Hi! Thanks for getting back!

Wordpress, WPML and Toolset Access are updated to the latest version (2.8.10 for Toolset Access).

The company policy does not allow me to share a backup of the website, but the issue shoul be quick to reproduce:

1. Install WordPress, WPML and Toolset Access.
2. Set up two languages: English and French.
3. Create a WPML Group for the French Pages.
4. Create a custom role ("french editor") who can only edit French Pages.
5. Log in as a user with this custom role.
6. Create a page draft in French and try to preview it.

Actually not even the native editor role can preview pages while the WPML Group is active. If I disable/remove the WPML Group, the preview functionality works again.

Thanks for your time!

Waqar
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for sharing these steps and I was able to reproduce this behavior on my test website too.

If a post/page falls within a WPML group, its preview only works for the native "administrator" role. Lower native roles, for example, Editors or even the roles copied from the "administrator" role, see page not found message.

I've shared these findings with the concerned team and will keep you updated through this ticket.

regards,
Waqar

hi!

Any progress on this?

Thanks!

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for checking in and the fix for this is still under review.

I'll keep you updated on the progress through this ticket.

Hi!

Sorry to insist, but is there any ETA for this?

Thanks,

Waqar
Supporter

I've checked and currently, there is no ETA available for this.

Each fix involves thorough investigation, testing, and code review, along with numerous other factors, which is why it can take some time.

However, this ticket is on my follow-up list and I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Hi,

Sorry to insist again, but any update on this?

Waqar
Supporter

I can confirm that it has been included in the upcoming bugs review effort.

However, since we haven't received any other report and it doesn't sound very urgent or showstopper, its priority can be affected by more pressing fixes.

Nevertheless, I'll keep you informed through this ticket.

Sorry to insist, but any update on this?

Hello,

Waqar is on holidays, I have checked it in our to-do list, this is confirmed as a bug, but there isn't update yet, I will keep on updating here if there is anything news.