Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Migration from other Custom Field and Taxonomy plugins

This support ticket is created 6 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Author

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your explanation. I made a quick video to help illustrate and align us with what I mean when I'm trying to figure out what the syntax is to pull back Term Metas from custom taxonomies, and custom fields from linked CPTs.

hidden link

Mainly, the questions are:

1.) What are some real-life example syntaxes of pulling back custom fields from _associated_ CTs and _linked_ CPTs (not just the fields from the _same_ CPT, which is what I believe the below syntax is):

[fl_builder_insert_layout slug="[types field='my-field' output='raw'][/types]"]

2.) When there is a Many-to-Many relationship, who is the parent?

3.) How is the parent value displayed if/when we want to include that parent slug?

4.) What are some of the advantages or use cases of pulling back the parent slug?

Re: UABB add-on plugin from the Astra team for BB - Sure, can certainly provide you with a credential to our site for you to take a look. If there are any issues, I'm happy to reach out to the Astra team and coordinate any improvements.

Thank you,

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Saint,

1) So if you're on the child post then you can pull the parent post type field information.
This is the format that is needed.
[types field='field-name' id='$parent_slug']

However it can be done through the GUI when you're inserting the field in the template it should give you the option to display data from another post and then you can select the parent post information.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/display-fields-table-content-using-views-or-the-types-api/

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/#displaying-related-contents

2) The Parent would be in reality the interemdiary CPT but our this is just for internal knowledge.

3) The parent value is displayed like this [types field='field-name' id='$parent_slug'] however from the links above you can display the parent information with the views plugin as well.

4) This one i'm not sure what you mean here as passing the parent slug into the types shortcode is just allowing it to reference another field. Similarly you can just pass an ID number into the id attribute to display the field information from another post.

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks, Shane! Your help is greatly appreciated. I've been able to hack together my first View to display the custom field of a related CPT. 🙂

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.