Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Migration from Drupal to WordPress with FG Drupal to WordPress Plugin

This support ticket is created 3 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? To migrate a Drupal 7 site to WordPress.

Is there any documentation that you are following? Yes, your documentation on: https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/guide-drupal-developers-switching-wordpress/

Is there a similar example that we can see? No

What is the link to your site? I am just setting up a development installation on WordPress. I have tried to migrate before and I achieved to migrate the custom types, media, posts etc but I did not achieve to migrate the custom fields. Now, I will give it another try and have some specific question to do everything right.

Step 1: Create your mapping
Create a spreadsheet with a plan of how you want to migrate everything. For example, choose what name your Drupal content types will have on WordPress. You can use Toolset to give your content the same name as on Drupal to make it all less confusing.

Do I have to create the corresponding post types with Toolset first?
How to name the custom post types? Do I have to give them the same name as on Drupal?
Drupal name or Drupal machine name? Or can I give them other names?
How to name the slugs? Do I have to use the same slugs as on Drupal? Or can I use other slugs?

P.S. At my first migration attempt I first imported with FG Drupal to WordPress without using Toolset I just had to add in WordPress after the migration the custom post types with CPT UI, with the same slug as the machine name in Drupal and all the custom post types with their corresponding posts appeared.

Step 2: Use Toolset Types to prepare your WordPress website
The next step is to create the same structure on your WordPress as you had on Drupal. This way you can make sure your website can accept Drupal data and support your relationships.

I know I have to create the custom fields first with Toolset to be able to migrate. Ok.
Must the fields have the same name as on Drupal? Which name I have to set? Drupal name or Drupal machine name? Can I use other names?
In the migration process will FG Drupal to WordPress ask which Druapl field shoud migrate to which toolset created WordPress field? Or how will the mapping happen?

------------------
P.S. I just bought Toolset because it is necessary to migrate easier from Drupal to WordPress. And because Drupal 7 is coming to a livetime end there could be many users who also like to migrate in 2021. Unfortunately there is very few detailed information about it on the internet. Especially migrating sites with custom post types and custom fields. Maybe we can improve your documentation with this vital information. If there exists a comprehensive and detailed guide I guess much more user will give it a try with FG Drupal to WordPress together with Toolset.

Have a nice day.

Kai Peter Weers

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Welcome to Toolset support and I'd be happy to assist.

Your observation is correct and I also couldn't find much information online about the third-party plugin "FG Drupal to WordPress", especially about its premium features.

Any specific questions and feedback about that plugin's functionality and documentation should be directed to the plugin's author, directly.

Here are some key points that I can share based on my testing and research:

1. The are two main approaches while migrating from Drupal to WordPress
a). The manual method would require you to export the data from Drupal into a CSV file, which can be then imported into WordPress. There are a number of plugins that can be used for this, as explained here:
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/

b). The automatic method would involve the "FG Drupal to WordPress" plugin and for importing custom fields, you'll need its premium version.
( ref: hidden link )

Whether you decide to use the manual method or the automatic method, it would be better to create/define the custom post types, taxonomies, and fields through the Toolset Types before the migration. Based on my search in our Toolset forum, it seems that the premium version of the "FG Drupal to WordPress" plugin will offer the mapping controls to link old and new custom post types and fields, however, to be absolutely sure and get the most accurate information, I'll recommend getting in touch with the plugin author ( hidden link ).

You don't have to use the same name and slugs for the post types and fields that you have in Drupal, as long as the mapping is done correctly during the migration process.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

Thank you Waqar. I will try the migration with FG Drupal to WordPress Plugin with a correct custom post type and custom field mapping. I will share details to help others. If I will encounter problems I will contact the plugin developer. But very good to know that I do not have to use the same custom field names or slugs. Thank again for your answer and help. Kai Peter

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.