Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Parametric Search – Filter By Post Categories – Parent + Child CSS Styling

This support ticket is created 2 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author

We have a site with approximately 120 posts on it.
My client wants to feature a SEARCH BY FILTER for all posts.
Initially, I was told there would be "just a few categories" however this has now morphed into 400 categories made up of PARENT, CHILD, CHILD of CHILD and CHILD of CHILD of CHILD sub-category logic.

When I use my normal Parametric Search Filter, all of the categories show up as one big list with the same styling.

QUESTION and CHALLENGE

The client wants to CSS STYLE the PARENT CATEGORY and then have a different CSS style applied to each CHILD category or sub-category so it is a TABBED or INDENTED list view.

EXAMPLE

MAIN CATEGORY ( h2 tag css )
Sub-Category #1 of MAIN ( h3 tag css ) - should be indented 30 pixels using CSS
Sub-category A of Sub-Category #1 ( h4 tag css ) - should be indented 60 pixels using CSS
Sub-category B of Sub-Category #1 ( h4 tag css ) - should be indented 60 pixels using CSS
Sub-Category #2 of MAIN ( h3 tag css ) - should be indented 30 pixels using CSS
Sub-category A of Sub-Category #2 ( h4 tag css ) - should be indented 60 pixels using CSS
Sub-category B of Sub-Category #2 ( h4 tag css ) - should be indented 60 pixels using CSS
Sub-category C of Sub-Category #2 ( h4 tag css ) - should be indented 60 pixels using CSS

I hoped this makes sense ( not sure of the layout in this window is retained for you )

Here is the page I am using it on: hidden link

I can provide more information as needed.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

When a search filter drop-down is included for taxonomy/category, the hierarchal items are shown with proper indentation.
( screen-recording: hidden link )

I'm afraid, there is no unique identifier class or ID available, which can be used to style these options based on their hierarchal level.

You're welcome to submit this as a feature request:
https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

regards,
Waqar

"When a search filter drop-down is included" ...

I have been using CHECKBOXES per client request which, in NON Toolset environments, adds each item as a LIST element however Toolset structures it using DIV containers. This seems to be the main stumbling block however presenting it as a DROPDOWN may actually work for my client ... I will present that as the only working option for now.

Thanks for your assistance. You can close this case.

Woody

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.