Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Inline fields custom date format has issues if you try to edit the date format

This support ticket is created 2 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by henrikG 2 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hello Support.

I have tried to use the inline field to insert a date from a custom field as the title for a button. If I try to edit the date format the cursor jumps to the end of the string field the second I press a key.

And if you would like to use one of the build in formats, and copy and paste that to the custom field, the editor instantly changes it back to the pre selected format.

I may end up using the same format for lots of my custom date formats. Is there a filter I can implement in code that would add a custom format to the list of selectable formats?

And on top of that how do you get it to include the time zone, and lastly sometimes the output is shown in the block editor as the integer value that I stored in the custom field, no matter the format.

Please see my troubles in this video : hidden link

Cheers

Henrik

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and observations with us.

During testing on my website, I was able to reproduce these usability issues and I have shared them with the concerned team:

1. The preview text from the date field added through the inline field option, shows the universal time (UTC), not offsetting based on the time zone selected in WordPress settings (WP Admin -> Settings -> General). But the good news is that on the front-end, the time is shown with the proper time zone offset.

2. While typing something in the custom format field, the cursor keeps jumping back to the end.

3. It is not impossible to copy the available format options and paste them in the custom format field for further editing, because, as soon as that field detects the format that is already available as an option, it changes the format option from the custom format to that option.

As for losing the changes added to the options available in the inline field's settings, please make sure to always use the "Apply" button, once you're done making the changes.

I'm afraid, there is no hook or filter available to add more date/time formats as the options, but you can use the custom format field to apply any format as needed.

regards,
Waqar

Ok Thanks Waqar.

I hope to see a filter for date formats and the annoying UX bugs fixed in the future then.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.