Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Archive pages of custom post type and taxonomy not visible

This support ticket is created 3 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Hello guys,

I've created a new site on which I'm using a custom post type and custom taxonomies to structure data.
But I can't see the archive pages of this custom post type and taxonomies.

What Information du you need to check where the problem is?

Kind regards,
Ben

Dear Ben,

I suggest you check these:
1) Make sure you are using the latest version of Toolset plugins, you can download them here:
https://toolset.com/account/downloads/

2) Follow our document to setup Toolset WordPress Archive:
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-a-custom-archive-page/

3) In case it is a compatibility problem, please deactivate all other plugins, and switch to wordpress default theme 2020, and test again

4) Also check if there is any PHP/JS error in your website:
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/debugging-sites-built-with-toolset/

Hello Luo,

I've checked your mention points.
1) All plugins are up to date
2) Seems to be fine for me
3) Nothing has changed
4) Couldn't find an error

Let me specify my issue.
I've created a taxonomy for "Orte" und "Hotelattribute".
The taxonomy "Orte" has some terms ("Pemba Island", "Sansibar", "Mafia Island") and so on.
I'm able to see hidden link or hidden link
But I get an error if I want to see hidden link

404-error.JPG

I have tried all three URLs you mentioned above, all of them are 404 errors, see my screenshot 404-error.JPG

Did you get any PHP error logs?
You can check these:
Dashboard-> Settings-> Permalinks, click "Save" button, it will be able to reset WP rewrite rules.

If the problem still persists, please provide a database dump file of your website, I need to test and debug it in my localhost.
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Ben,

Thank you for sharing these details.

Luo is on holiday today and will be able to follow-up on this once he is back tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.

regards,
Waqar

Thanks for the details, I am downloading the files, will update here if find anything

I can see the problem in my localhost, but it seems to be WP core issue, the same problem persists in WP core taxonomy "Category" and "tag", for example:
hidden link
hidden link

You will get the same 404 error results, and the same problem persists even deactivated all Toolset plugins, can you confirm it?
I don't thing we can fix, the WP core issues.

Hello Luo,

yes - I get the same error result for all my taxonomies.
For categories it is working, as far as I've set my permalink settings for the category-base to "%category%".

But as far as I've seen, there is no option to handle it the same way with taxonomies?

Currently I'm using a new created site with name and permalink "ort". But I'm not sure if this will causinge some problems in future.

Yes, you are right. And there is the same setting in custom taxonomy, please edit your custom taxonomy "ort", in section "Options", enable option "Rewrite", and fill option "Replace taxonomy slug with this" with value: %ort%

And test again

I've tested it. It is not working.

domain.de/ort/
is still ending with an 404 error

I've also noticed, that it is changing all taxonomy links from
domain.de/ort/sansibar-unguja -> domain.de/sansibar-unguja/sansibar-unguja
domain.de/ort/pemba-island -> domain.de/pemba-island/pemba-island

I have tested it in my localhost with a fresh WP installation.
Without Toolset Types plugin, set my permalink settings for the category-base to "%category%":
domain.de/category/ 404 error
set my permalink settings for the category-base to "category":

Then I have tried it in your with your database dump file using value "%category%", and get the same result 404 errors with or without Toolset Types plugin

Can you confirm it?

I've checked it again and it seems you're right - that was my mistake, sorry.
I'm not getting an error but it's doing this with the url: domain.de/category/category/

I deleted the category-base slug again and used as regular individual post structure "/%category%/%postname%/
Now it's again displaying posts and category archives as it should be.

Only the taxonomie archive for "ort" still don't work.

I have tried the settings you mentioned above:
1) Category base: empty
2) Custom Structure: /%category%/%postname%/

Still get the same result:

Can you confirm it?

As I mentioned above: it should be a WordPress core issue, we can not fix it.

So if we can not fix it... Do you think it is a legitimate way to simply create a page "ort" and use it to link to the taxonomies? Or do we get a problem here because the taxonomy also uses the expression"ort"?

I don't think so, you can try it in your website:
1) Create a page with slug "ort"
2) Edit the taxonomy "ort", and save, you will get the error message:
You cannot use this slug because it is already used or a reserved word. Please choose a different slug.

You can submit a ticket to WP core team for it:
https://core.trac.wordpress.org/tickets/latest

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.