Skip Navigation

[Resolved] A very basic question about taxonomy pages

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Hello, is there a simple way to create a page for categories and taxonomies?

I had the idea that it would be similar to creating an archive page. I've searched the forum but I can't find the way

Solution:
- Please go to Toolset -> Dashboard and click the 'Create Archive' button in the row of the post type you want to design an archive for
- Name your archive in the pop-up dialog that appears
- Use the archive-creation wizard to set the basic options for your archive like pagination, search, and layout
- Use the WordPress Block Editor to design your archive and if you need, Toolset blocks to add dynamic fields to the template

The archives created using Toolset have default settings for pagination, ordering, and more. You can change these settings at any time.
Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-a-custom-archive-page/

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by hernanL 1 year, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Mateus Getulio.

Author

Hello, is there a simple way to create a page for categories and taxonomies?

I had the idea that it would be similar to creating an archive page. I've searched the forum but I can't find the way

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello there,

Welcome to the Toolset support forum!

You're right, it is a very similar procedure. To achieve this:

- Please go to Toolset -> Dashboard and click the 'Create Archive' button in the row of the post type you want to design an archive for
- Name your archive in the pop-up dialog that appears
- Use the archive-creation wizard to set the basic options for your archive like pagination, search, and layout
- Use the WordPress Block Editor to design your archive and if you need, Toolset blocks to add dynamic fields to the template

The archives created using Toolset have default settings for pagination, ordering, and more. You can change these settings at any time. Kindly check our documentation related for more information: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-a-custom-archive-page/. If something is not clear yet, please do not hesitate in asking me.

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Mateus.

Thanks, I hadn't understood the power of the archives page until now, it's powerful and integrates great with the theme I'm working with (generatepress)

I am working on the style of the archives page (it works without a problem in my custom post type category) but I have a doubt regarding the level of customization that I can do looking at seo

What I mean is that I would like to add text specifically for a category page. I'm thinking of a standard wordpress format for this category page, title some text and then the list

If I put the text on the archive page, that text can appear in another place where there is access to archive of that custom post type. Maybe I can use a hook (of generatepress) for be 100% secure that will display only on that page. Is there a way to control that?

I have several problems, for some reason the text is marked with spelling problems (the typical red underline of a text editor) I want to index the category but I really need to be 100% sure that the text is not going to be displayed in another url

red underline.png
secure1.png
secure2.png

I apologize for nesting messages, I just want to be completely sure that the "archive" is only displayed in a single category. The text I have placed before the list contains an h1. if it is viewed from another url it can harm me a lot in seo

The only thing I would need to fix is the misspelling markup (the red underline)

I'm not really sure what to think of archive pages, in practice it replaces the category page (having less seo control)

I think I am not generating enough added value with the archives page yet, I will leave it as it is so that the search engines know that I am respecting the internal guidelines of wordpress but I have applied noindex to the page (obviously with the default h1 so that the search engines always know it was an archives page)

Anyway, if you have any advice (I'm having seo difficulties, I originally wanted to talk about my custom post type and put a canonical tag to the home page, which can't be done with the archives page) or if you can tell me why the red underline of the words would appreciate it

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello there,

Thanks for your reply and the additional info.

Answering your questions:

"Maybe I can use a hook (of generatepress) for be 100% secure that will display only on that page. Is there a way to control that?"

"I really need to be 100% sure that the text is not going to be displayed in another url"

"if it is viewed from another url it can harm me a lot in seo"

"Anyway, if you have any advice (I'm having seo difficulties, I originally wanted to talk about my custom post type and put a canonical tag to the home page, which can't be done with the archives page) or if you can tell me why the red underline of the words would appreciate it"

Not sure if GeneratePress has a hook for this purpose, but I couldn't find anyone related in our list: https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/toolset-hooks/

By chance, were you able to check if this same text appears in a different URL than the archive one? Moreover, in order to avoid duplicated content - for instance, if you don't want your WordPress default archive pages, you can disable them by editing your custom post type and mark off the 'has_archive' attribute.

About the red line under your text, I'm not sure what it does mean, exactly. Wouldn't it be just a spelling issue? Or are you using a tool that detects SEO problems on the text?

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide the proper support for SEO matters regarding the archive pages - since it is not the main goal of our plugins. However, with the Yoast SEO plugin you should be able to fully optimize your content generated by Toolset. Please check our documentation related: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/seo-for-custom-fields-using-toolset-and-yoast-seo/

Furthermore, what else we could recommend is that you get in touch directly with the SEO plugin that you're using, and ask for the better guidance related to the subject of the archive pages SEO.

Please let me know if this explanation is clear and solves the question. Thank you!

Regards,
Mateus.

Thanks for the info

I'm going to check all the urls in my sitemap to see if I find any problems (maybe I'm just being impatient, although it's been several days now)

I think I'll use the archives page at the category url but a little different than I expected, I'll use it as a search page (I'll index it when the page is done, not what I originally wanted to do but anyway I think the archive page can contribute)

The red underline appears as that red line when you type a misspelling in a text editor (like word or libreoffice)

Here is the url of what will be the search page (and category url)

hidden link

*It is fair to let you know that I am working on a page for adults. I would prefer to hide the url when the topic is closed

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hi there,

Thank you for the updates.

All right, please let us know if you encounter any issue in your sitemap, related to the Toolset archive pages.

If possible, kindly reach out to the support team of your SEO plugin and ask for directions.

Waiting for your feedback. Thanks!

Fo the strange underline was an option of generatepress (in the theme customizer there is an option "underline of links" it is necessary to disable that)

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.