Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Views: Relationship appears in editor but not in front end

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Show a list of speakers related to a session in a search view

1. I created a one to many relationship between `session` and `speaker`
2. Added a speaker to a session
3. Created a search view for sessions
4. Added a content template with session title and other custom fields
5. Inside the custom template, created a view to show speakers associated to the session
6. Associated speakers appear in the editor however the front end shows No items found

All Custom Post Types, Custom Fields and Relationships are managed in Toolset

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Toolset docs on views and relationships

What is the link to your site?

hidden link (admin/admin)

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

I tried to access the content template and the single session post edit screen in the admin area, but it keeps showing the error message:

'There has been a critical error on this website. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.'

I'll recommend checking the server's error logs or the admin user's email for further details. If its due to server resources or PHP configuration, you can get this resolved by contacting your hosting support team.

You'll find the details about the Toolset's server requirements at:
https://toolset.com/toolset-requirements/

I hope this helps and let me know once this error is fixed.

regards,
Waqar

I deleted some uneeded plugins and it seems to be working now. Could you check again?

I noticed something particular. Although the search view doesn't show the speaker names, the individual session views in the front-end show the speakers.

Where you able to access the site now?

I'd appreciate some assistance on this ASAP. Have some deadlines which are dependent on this feature working.

Thank you

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing this update and I can now access the admin area edit screens.

In the content template 'Session', I see a view named 'Session Speakers', which configured correctly to show the related 'Speakers'.

This view is showing the list correctly on the front-end too and looks like you've managed to make it work, after writing to us.
( screenshot: hidden link )

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions and for a new question or concern, please start a new ticket.

I see what you did but this isn't exactly what I have in mind. From what I can see, it looks like you added another search view inside the 'Sessions' Content Template.

What I need is very similar to this page for a different conference: hidden link

High level overview:
- Sessions are attached to 1 Day and 1 Stage (taxonomy)
- There are 3 days of the conference
- There are many different stages per day
- Sessions can have one or more Speakers

Here's what I created:

- In the 'Agenda' page there should be a View with a search (Agenda Sessions)
- The 'Agenda Sessions' view loop should contain the Content Template 'Sessions'
- The 'Sessions' Content Template should show Session information like the Post Title and also has inside it an other view called 'Session Speakers'
- 'Session Speakers' shows the Speakers related to the current 'Session' (ex: post title)

I set this up in Toolset and the problem is that when I look at the Agenda page, I can't see the Speakers linked to the Sessions (no items found). However, if I look at an individual Session, the speakers populate.

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing these additional details.

> I see what you did but this isn't exactly what I have in mind. From what I can see, it looks like you added another search view inside the 'Sessions' Content Template.

- I haven't added this view so it must be added by another Toolset supporter, in response to your other tickets.

> I set this up in Toolset and the problem is that when I look at the Agenda page, I can't see the Speakers linked to the Sessions (no items found).

- The nested view 'Session Speakers' on the 'Agenda' page is now showing the related speakers correctly. The page overall has the same structure that is on the example page that you've shared.

> However, if I look at an individual Session, the speakers populate.

- When I checked the single/individual Session posts, it was not showing any related speakers. That is because the blocks-based views which were previously set there are no longer available.

I've included the same 'Session Speakers' view on the 'Session' content template through the shortcode, and it is now showing the related speaker posts.

[wpv-view name="session-related-speakers"]

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.