Skip Navigation

[Resolved] types causes rest api to fail

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Steve 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi this site recently slowed way down particularly in the dash board, I see in the site health area this message below which clears if we disable the Types plugin. Could you provide some guidance as to how to trouble shoot this.

The REST API is one way WordPress, and other applications, communicate with the server. One example is the block editor screen, which relies on this to display, and save, your posts and pages.

The REST API request failed due to an error.
Error: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 0 bytes received (http_request_failed)

Thanks

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

It looks like a connection and configuration issue, where the WordPress REST API is not able to complete the communication successfully.

Your website is set to use 'HTTPS' without 'www'. Can you please check the "WordPress Address (URL)" and "Site Address (URL)" fields at WP Admin -> Settings -> General and see if they are also set the same way?

Please also make sure that your website's security plugin or server's security policies are not interfering with or blocking the REST API connection.

I hope this helps and let me know how it goes.

regards,
Waqar

screenshot-griffinmuseum.org-2022.06.29-09_26_30.png

Hi and thanks for that. My site Address and URL are correct. both using the non www address. I don't have any web firewall installed. Ive asked my host to check their security policies on the server.

Any other thoughts

I got this question back from my host is this something you can provide or help me find

Please show me IP address from which REST API, query example and response code and we will parse your server's logs farther.

Thanks

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back.

The IP address would be the same as the web hosting's server since the REST API call is initiated from the same WordPress installation.

Can you please share temporary admin login details for further troubleshooting?

Note: Your next reply will be private and it is recommended to make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing the admin access.

I suspect that it has something to do with the firewall setup through the Wordfence plugin. It would be interesting to test this with all non-Toolset plugins disabled and a default theme like Twenty Twenty-One.

If it's fixed, you can start adding the disabled items, one-by-one, to narrow down to a possible conflicting one.

You'll find some more tips on this same error, in this guide:
hidden link

Thanks Waqar its not Wordfence- I installed that after this started and the issue persists with it off. Also i t appears its not types specifically, the error pops back up with a number of plugins- just depending on what order i turn things back on after turning off all the plugins. I'll plow through that link you sent and thanks again for your time

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.