Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Taxonomy filter in View Search Not Hierarchical

This support ticket is created 3 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author

Hello,

I need to implement a view with a search filter using checkboxes for multiple selection of taxonomies. The taxonomies are hierarchical but they don't show as hierarchical on the "Set of checkboxes" type of control. They do or all the other control options but not this one. Is there any particular reason for this? Can I target the child taxonomy checkboxes to add some structure via CSS?

The "set of checkboxes" option is the only one that would work for this filter, the select multiple option isn't intuitive to use and other options don't allow you to choose multiple options.

Thanks

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

Your observation is correct and when checkboxes type front-end search filter is used in the view, it doesn't show the terms in their hierarchy.

We have an internal ticket to improve this in future releases and I've also added your voice to this matter, but, I'm afraid, I don't have a time estimate to share at the moment.

As there is no class or ID available which can be used to target checkbox items based on their hierarchal level, as a workaround you can include a custom CSS code, that either uses IDs of individual checkboxes or the "nth-of-type" selector ( ref: hidden link ) to show the parent level terms differently than the children.

For more personalized assistance around custom code, you can also consider hiring a professional from our list of recommended contractors:
https://toolset.com/contractors/

regards,
Waqar

Thanks Waqar, yes it seems like something that needs to be fixed so thanks for adding my request to the internal ticket.

In the meantime I'll try and work something out using the"nth-of-type" selector.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.