Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Storage of create-post pages and edit-post pages

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Can you confirm that this is correct?
Create-post forms are on regular pages
Edit post templates are listed here: hidden link
Content display templates are also listed on the content templates page

I mostly want to verify that create-post pages and edit-post pages are stored in different places.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

> I mostly want to verify that create-post pages and edit-post pages are stored in different places.

- All post forms are stored and are accessible from WP Admin -> Toolset -> Post Forms. It doesn't matter if they are to create new posts or edit existing ones.

The content templates section that you referenced is for accessing and managing content templates, only.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need further assistance.

regards,
Waqar

edit business.png
submit business.png

Here's what I'm referring to. For example, my "submit business" page is stored as a page while my "edit business" page is stored as a content template (see images). This is the result of following instructions here:
https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1621521-1612071/
and here:
https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1621521-1612095/

I'm just a little confused because the pages have a similar function, but are stored in two different areas. Can a content template be stored as a page and vice-versa?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This confusion can be avoided, by understanding the role and benefit of using the content templates.

In WordPress, we can always add any content to a page or post, directly in the body. But, what if we have to repeat similar content or make it dynamic so that only some items are different like post title, custom field values, etc?

If we manually add this content to each page or post, individually, any future change would mean that we have to go and edit each page or post separately too.

However, the use of a content template makes it convenient by providing a centralized common block, where the changes to the content in one place will make it updated across all pages or posts where this template is in use.

The following use case will make it easier to understand how the content templates are useful when the edit-post forms are involved.

Suppose, I have a 'Book' post type on my website.

1. To allow users to submit a 'Book' post, I'll create a form named 'Form to add a book' and insert it on a page named 'Add a new Book'

2. To show a single 'Book' post's content, I'll create a content template 'CT for Books'.
( ref: https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1621067-1621091/ )

3. And for editing those book posts, I'll create a form named 'Form to edit a book'.

4. Now, I can always, insert this form 'Form to edit a book', in the content template 'CT for Books' that shows the regular content for a single 'Book' post. But the downside is that this edit form will always show, whenever a user visits any single 'Book' post, through its regular link.

What if I'd like to show this edit form, only when a separate post-edit link is used?

5. For that, I'll create another template 'CT for Books - editing', and instead of adding the form 'Form to edit a book' on the template 'CT for Books', I'll add it to this new template.

As a result, the edit form will only show, when the post-edit link is used (because it will be using the template 'CT for Books - editing').

And, for regular book links, the normal content of the book post will show (because it will be using the template 'CT for Books').

I hope this explanation clarifies the role of pages and content templates in creating, editing, and showing posts.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.