Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Image size not applying

This support ticket is created 3 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.14 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 2 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

Hi there,
I want to change the cover image in my view to a custom size but no matter what i do the size won't apply - it just goes back to the thumnail size. How can i apply the custom size and make it stay when i update the site?

It is the view on this site: hidden link

Thanks.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I am sorry but I don't understand what image you are wanting to resize? I might also have broken the view design by editing it inside this page!

Please check this screenshot hidden link
- The first image is from the background of the container block, and it does not have a setting to resize it. This image is not from a dynamic source.
- The other images are Image blocks used inside the loop of the view "2021 Search for badminton camps" which is reused, defined in another place. These images are from a dynamic source, the current post in the view's loop. The sizes of these images can be customized.

I was able to customize the size of these images, but it broke the whole design of the page, check this screenshot hidden link
This is probably a bug, editing a reused view should not break its design. I tried to recover it using the undo button to no avail.
hidden link

If we go to the camp template, it also uses an image as the background of a container block. It does not have settings to be customized.
hidden link

Please correct me if I missed something.
Would it be possible to restore the staging site to remove my updates to the view?

Hi there,

Yeah the view is all broken now. Oh no.

So i need this:
1) Only the search form can appear here: hidden link
2) The search results should only appear here: hidden link
3) The images in the view and in the results should be the same size no matter what. I wish for 600x400 pixels.
4) I also want the images in the second view further down the page on the hidden link with white background to be 600x400 pixels. Also the results here.

5) You can see this ticket i had earlier with Shane who helped me build the view with the search form. It is very important that we get it back to as it was: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/define-image-sizes-in-view/

Jamal
Supporter

Currently, the Blocks-based views do not support displaying the form and the results on different pages. This feature is scheduled to be released in an upcoming release. We don't have an ETA for it, but I would say after a few months.

If you would like to display the form on a page and the results on another page, you will need to build the view in the legacy editor using shortcodes. Go to Toolset->Views and create a new view using the "Add New" button at the top of the page.
Build the view using the Toolset interface, which will generate shortcodes for you, or by manually entering the shortcodes. Here you can find all the available shortcodes https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/

When you will be adding the images to the view, you can customize what size to use for them.

Get back to the pages and use the Fields&Text block. Use the view's button on it to add the view. During that process, you can use to display only the filters form or the results. Add the filters form on one page, and the view's results on the other page.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Jamal,

Can you please read this support thread that i had with Shane as i aksed? https://toolset.com/forums/topic/define-image-sizes-in-view/

As you will see we already build the view correctly and it worked with search form on one site and result on another site and all i needed was adjusting the image sizes to be done and then I hear back from you that you might have broken the view.

Can you please fix this asap? Or add Shane to this conversation so he can help? I am very much in a hurry as i need this to be done on wednesday next week - I was already done but now it is broken.

Jamal
Supporter

Hello Mai,

Shane is currently on vacation, he will be back on Monday. I'll pass the ticket to him if you would like to.

The view was broken because of one simple update I made, I changed the dimensions of the image inside the loop. This update should not break the view, which rings a bell, that something else is interfering.
I told, that I might have broken the view and asked you to restore the backup that you might have taken before sharing credentials in this ticket. That's exactly why we do ask to take a backup before sharing credentials.

Regarding the split of a block-based view in two pages, as far as I know, it is not yet implemented and it will be done in an upcoming release. So, I run a small test locally, and it turned out that the split can be performed, but not using the block interface. It needs to be done using the Fields and Text block.

I would love to fix the design of the broken view, but I don't really know what design would you like to use. If you can restore a backup, I'll help you fix all of this.

I think that the view was broken after my update because it has been copied from another page and edited, and we currently have a bug with that. And also, that's not how it has to be done. The view must not be copied, it has to be only one view created on a separate page and it has to be used on both pages.

So, I'll suggest that you restore a backup if you have it. Otherwise, please rebuild the view on a separate page and let me split it for both pages.

Hi Jamal,

The view that i want to use is this and it was created under toolset --> views - and it is this one: ID1497 "2021 Search for badminton camps"

Shane build this view with me as you can read in this support thread: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/define-image-sizes-in-view/
So i have a very hard time imagining that it was build wrong.

I fixed the view now by removing it and inserting it again - can you please take a look at the images sizes again now?

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you Mai, I installed UpdraftPlus and made a database backup to restore from it if the view breaks again.

The view was originally created inside the test page, so I tried to resize the image there hidden link

When I choose custom sizes, it first chooses it then it displays an error and reverts back to the previous dimensions hidden link
I was able to choose one of the default dimensions, but it just does not choose a custom one. So, I registered a new custom size with a snippet in Toolset->Settings->Custom Code, but it did not help either, it does not get added to the list of dimensions.

add_image_size( 'my-custom-size', 600, 400 );

add_filter( 'image_size_names_choose', 'my_custom_sizes' );
function my_custom_sizes( $sizes ) {
    return array_merge( $sizes, array(
        'my-custom-size' => __( 'Custom Size 600x400' ),
    ) );
}

I would need your permission to take a copy of your website and debug it locally. If I can't find out the cause of this issue, I'll escalate to our 2nd Tier with the copy of your website to get further assistance. Let me know if that's fine with you?

Yes of course - go ahead with whatever you need to do 🙂

Thank you 🙂

Jamal
Supporter

After some debugging I noticed that the first call to resize the image completes successfully, then two consecutive calls are made without adding the desired dimensions, which triggers the error https://toolset.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Screenshot-2021-02-16-at-15.36.35.png

I couldn't find the origin of these calls, so I am approaching our 2nd Tier for assistance on the issue. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Jamal
Supporter

The issue is now handled by our 2nd Tier, I'll get back to you as soon as we have something to share.

Thank you, I have a meeting with my boss tomorrow, so I hope you guys will figure it out.

Hi there,
Are there any news yet?

Jamal
Supporter

Hello and my apologies for the late reply, but I do not work on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

The bug has been escalated to the developers but they did not get to work on it yet. I am afraid it will take a couple of days or maybe weeks before it is handled.

As a workaround, I'd suggest using a shortcode to generate the resized image. Read more about the possible shortcodes here:
- https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/
- https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/functions/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.