Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to reuse the design of a view in a taxonomy archive page

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by petrC-2 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi team,

I have created with your help a View in my AI tools directory website best-ai-tools.net and I would like to use the same designs and conditionals in Archive pages. How can I achieve this? I found 4 years old artictle but I don't see the solution there.

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Is there any documentation that you are following?
Not found

Is there a similar example that we can see?
N/A

What is the link to your site?
Under development - best-ai-tools.net - you have the access there.

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards
Petr

Hi Petr,

The output of the view can't be directly used inside the archive pages, but you can use the WordPress Archives editor from Toolset to design those archive pages in the same way:
https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1621271-1622285/

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

regards,
Waqar

I have to say your software does what it says and is good, but all of the customisation and learning takes so much time. It would be great if we could use some kind of JSON, export the settings from View and import it to Archives. You could also prepare some JSON files with pre-set stuff. I would pay 5-10$ for this kind of JSON rather than wasting time with customisation. I want to concentrate on adding content to the website and start it ASAP rather than playing with padding and margins.

Thank you for sharing this feedback.

An export/import feature like this is not currently available, but your feedback and suggestions are important to us and help us improve.

For future reference, here is how you can use the same styling/design for your archives and views, without having to recreate them.

You can create a new content template, temporarily set it to be used as the template for the target custom post type, and design it the way you'd like each result item in the views or archives to show.

Once this template is ready, you can re-use this template for the loop blocks of the views and archive editors.

So if I am happy with my View look, I can duplicate the template and then what? I don't understand your last sentence. Please could you give me more details?

> So if I am happy with my View look, I can duplicate the template, and then what?

- This won't work if you've already designed a view by adding the blocks inside the 'View Loop'. And, you won't be duplicating the template but will be reusing the same template in multiple views and archives.

Here are more details with a use case explanation:

1). Suppose your website has a 'Books' post type and you plan to show the list of book items in the same format/design in multiple views and archives.

And, your website is already using a content template named 'CT for Books' to show the data on the single post pages.

2). To begin with, you'll create a new content template named 'Common CT for books loop items'.

3). You'll temporarily set this new template 'Common CT for books loop items' to be assigned to the single book posts.
( this step is needed so that the Book post type's custom fields are available as the dynamic source while editing the template)

4). Once this 'Common CT for books loop items' is ready, you can reassign the original template 'CT for Books', to be used for the single book post pages.

5). After this, whenever you'd like to show the same format/design book items in any of your views or archives, you'll only include a 'Content Template' block in the loop block of the view/archive and then call this 'Common CT for books loop items' template through it.

This way, you'll not have to replicate all the blocks in the loop items, again and again, for every view or archive. And you'll make any changes to this one template, and they'll automatically update for all the views and archives, which are using it.

best-ai-tools toolset.png
best-ai-tools homepage view.png

Hi Waqar,

Thank you for those instructions but I am lost in the step 2. How do I create new template. I have attached screenshots from the Toolset dashboard and also from homepage. I have create view for homepage and I want to use the same look for archive pages without re-doing it. How can this be achieved?

Toolset is in market since 2007 and none from 600.000 commercial page owners asked for this? I am the only one? There is no other solution for this?

This is just a disaster!!!

Kind Regards
Petr

> I am lost in the step 2. How do I create new template.
- You can create a new content template and manage existing ones from WP Admin -> Toolset -> Content Templates.

> I have create view for homepage and I want to use the same look for archive pages without re-doing it. How can this be achieved?
- This is not possible because you've already designed the homepage's view, by adding the blocks in the loop of the view.

To follow my recommendation in this case, you'll have to create a new content template at least once, using the same blocks that you've used in your homepage's view loop, and then use that template in the loop of the views and archives, moving forward.

Here is another workaround that I'll only recommend if your homepage's view is not using any dynamic features like front-end search, pagination, and/or sorting controls.

a). In the archive editor, insert a 'View' block in between the 'WordPress Archive Search' block and the 'WordPress Archive Output' block.
( make sure no blocks are added inside the 'WordPress Archive Loop' block )

b). In the newly inserted view block, select the view that you're using on the homepage, as the existing view.

The archive page will start showing the same output as the output from the homepage's view.

> Toolset is in market since 2007 and none from 600.000 commercial page owners asked for this? I am the only one? There is no other solution for this?
- WordPress introduced its blocks-based 'Gutenberg' editor, in WordPress 5.0, back in November 2018.

Before that Toolset templates, views, and archives, relied on the classic editor, that used HTML and shortcodes to generate the output.

Although the new blocks-based workflow offers better inline controls for the design/layout customizations, it does come with limitations, in terms of re-usability.

If you're interested in learning more about classic/legacy editor workflows, the documentation is available at:
https://toolset.com/documentation/legacy-features/views-plugin/

toolset archive editor.png
toolset archive.png

Hi Waqar,

This will not work for me as I have search elements and pagination. I have decided to create Archives from scratch. I delete the Archive, started created new one but the page doesn't exist. Please can you check it?

I gave your colleague already access to the website can you use it?

Link for the image: hidden link

Hi Waqar,

Please don't wast anymore time with this. I am fed up and gave up with this software.

Thank you for your help.
Petr

I am fed up and gave up with this software.

petrC-2 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-04-18 13:32:57.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.