Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to create one custom feed for multiple CPT events

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by himanshuS 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I am using multiple CPTs such as
1. Projects (users can do projects)
2. Submissions (users can submit deliverable for project)
3. Review Requests (user can request review for a submission)
4. Reviews (expert gives review for a review request)
5. Portfolio (where projects and reviews get together)

The user will create and update many posts for these CPTs and I want to show one personalized feed to the logged in user that shows their activity and suggests next steps. For example, a feed could look like this

- Submission updated (link) [Date]
- Review received (link) [Date]
- Review requested (link) [Date]
- Submission added (link) [Date] . Request review
- Portfolio created (Link) [Date] . Add a project

How can I show this personalized feed to the user using toolset?

Is there an inbuilt way to do this without creating another CPT called "Feed" where I would create a new "Feed" post for each activity and populate it with relevant data?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

In the WordPress context, the term 'feed' generally refers to the content delivery layer that generates the data in special formats (e.g. RSS, RDF, Atom, etc), to be read by external feed reader applications:
https://wordpress.org/support/article/wordpress-feeds/

However, based on what you've shared I don't think you need the feed for the feed readers. You need a special page on the website, like a "My Account" page or "Dashboard" where currently a logged-in member can view the summary of his/her activities, with respect to those custom post types.

If my understanding is correct, there is no built-in feature available for this activity tracking. Your understanding is correct and you'll need to register a new custom post type "User Feed" or "User Activity" for this.

After that whenever any of the other CPTs are created or edited, you'll need to make sure that your custom code generates a new post entry in this custom post type, with the relevant data (e.g. title, author, post date, type, etc).

This will allow you to show the current user's activity on his/her feed/activity page, by using a post view, with the post author filter.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.