Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom Search Filters

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by CharlesB2907 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author
Screenshot_185.jpg

Hello,

I created a development test site for the search filter issue reported in the previous ticket: Custom Search Filters

On the site Gallery page of the test site, you will see that I added a second "Search by title" test field.

I would also like to added a third field ( a drop down field similar to "All") for "Size" to select either Small, Medium, or Large.

1. How can I best achieve that?

2. Is it possible to add a Title over the first field on the far left so that I might line up horizontally across the row?

3. Can I have just one Search and Reset Button for all fields in the row?

Thank you

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

1. I would also like to added a third field ( a drop down field similar to "All") for "Size" to select either Small, Medium, or Large. How can I best achieve that?

- In the archive "Work Gallery Grid", you'll see that the search fields container, is split into 4 columns/grids.
( screenshot: hidden link )

You can use the "Add Search Field" button to insert a new "Custom Search Filter" block for the "Size" custom field. Once added, you can drag and drop it into the third column in the grid.

Note: There is a "Single Field" block in that third "Grid Cell" block too, which is not needed there and you can remove it.

We have a detailed guide, on the topic of creating custom archives with search fields at:
https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1621271-1622285/

2. Is it possible to add a Title over the first field on the far left so that I might line up horizontally across the row?

- Yes, you can enable the "Show label" option in the "Custom Search Filter" block for that search field.

3. Can I have just one Search and Reset Button for all fields in the row?

- Yes, you'll only need one Search and Reset button in the search form. Where these buttons are shown, would depend on which grid/column their respective blocks are placed in.

At the moment, they are placed in another nested grid block, inside the first column's "Grid Cell" block.

Which is why they are showing in the same columns as the first search field for the art type taxonomy. If you don't want them in that same column, you can drag and drop their nested "Grid" block, out of the parent "Grid" block, so that these two are at the same level.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance with this.

regards,
Waqar

Screenshot_188.jpg

Thank you for providing such details instruction.

Instead of "Size" I want to add a custom search field for "Location" in the 3rd column, and the Search and Reset buttons in the 4th Col. (currently located in the 3rd) which displays a list of available gallery locations.

The problem, this field is optional and when I added it, the 'Search by title" field stopped working. This is a problem because artwork is available on the site and other work are available in galleries. Please see screenshot attached.

How can I set the "Location" search field for the 3rd column to be empty and inactive until someone wanted to search by location?

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back and glad that my message helped.

The search field for the "Location" field didn't have any default placeholder value set, which is why the first option "Available On My Portfolio" was always getting selected, by default.

I've set a placeholder text for this field (Search all locations) and the search is working correctly now.

Thank you.

Waqar
Supporter

Glad I could help.

You're welcome to mark this ticket as resolved and start a new one for each new question or concern.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.