Skip Navigation

[Closed] unable to activate views, and other plugins are deactivating themselves

This support ticket is created 3 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am trying to: use toolset without losing my mind

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: admin

I expected to see: my toolset plugins activated

Instead, I got: views won't activate since installing blocks. when i reinstall/acativate views, access, blocks and forms deactivate themselves. I can reactivate them but views will not activate. i think this is the cause of my issue in not seeing the option to 'create content template' in dashboard.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

I'm not sure why you are seeing a problem with Forms, but you can't activate both Views and Blocks at the same time because they are essentially the same plugin, just with different default settings relating to which UI you see when creating templates and Views.

Install and activate one of them—it doesn't really matter which one.

Then go to Toolset > Settings and choose which UI you'd like to see.

As an experienced Toolset user it would probably be a good idea to choose showing both the new Blocks editor and the classic Views editing experience, that way you can create Views with the block editor but also use the editor you are used to in specific situations. (There are some features of Views that haven't made it into the block editor yet.)

Try that and then if you still have problems let me know.

oh, ok. i did choose both - so that part is ok - everything is functioning as it should. didn't realize they were the same since both are still in the plugin list. the site admin is really slow after installing blocks anytime i'm doing anything with toolset. it maxes out I/O really easily. taking hours just to make a few udpates. is there anything i need to do after installing blocks - should i delete views or anything?

is there something wrong with the way i installed blocks? or configuration? i've followed all the steps in the tutorials. screenshot - 'create content template' button missing from some types. 2nd screenshot, new page AFTER pressing switch to block editor.

Nigel
Supporter

Did you mean to attach some screenshots?

Regarding the performance, does the same thing happen if you install Views instead of Blocks but use the settings to expose the Blocks UI?

If the admin becomes sluggish I would use the Query Monitor plugin as a starting point to see if I could spot what the issue was.

To create templates, try going to Toolset > Content Templates and add a new template. Are your post types missing from the assignment options?

I'll set a private reply in case you want to share credentials with me and direct me to look at something.

I cloned the site and after removing all the plugins and theme but leaving fusion still had issues. i removed fusion plugins. now when i click new page, i do get the block editor with blocks. but if i click from a view to content template, it brings up block editor without blocks. memory issues seem to be gone, but things are operating slowing and if i'm in blocks on one screen and view in another, things lock up.

how do i use avada and blocks together?

still cannot install any module - goes to a 404 page when i click install from the library.

thanks.

Nigel
Supporter

A recent Avada update broke the template theme settings integration and we are looking into that, but I wasn't aware there were any other issues.

I'll check on my own Avada test site if I can see any problems using it with Blocks and I'll update you.

that explains a lot. thank you. need to know how to keep building in this environment.

Nigel
Supporter

I had a site with some existing content and templates designed with fusion builder, and installed Blocks on that site and edited the templates, stopped editing with fusion builder, edited with blocks instead, and I didn't run into any obvious problems.

Do you have some specific steps I can try to recreate a problem?

I don't know what "if i click from a view to content template" means.

I think the content template for the view was created in fusion or blocks. so from the view you click to edit the content template in fusion/blocks. that's what i meant. honestly though - i really don't know what is going wrong since everything i try seems to not work or max out the server. maybe i should wait for the next toolset updates? is there any eta?

Nigel
Supporter

I'm not sure that an update will help, as there aren't any known performance issues being worked on, and I'm not seeing them on my own site with the current versions.

If you want me to take a look at your site I can, although a staging server would be better, as I'd want to check how the site performed with Avada and just Types and Blocks (and the fusion plugins).

I'll set a private reply in case you have credentials to share.

Nigel
Supporter

I didn't get very far.

I added the Query Monitor plugin, then went to de-activate all plugins except it, the fusion plugins, Types and Blocks, but the site has hung.

Debugging was disabled so nothing helpful in the logs; I've enabled it now.

Do you know that it's Blocks causing the site to hang?

no, i don't know anything for sure! but just intuition - i think maybe i installed or updated or used something in the wrong order and it's causing issues for the whole site. do you want me to disable the plugins?

Nigel
Supporter

Maybe we could try with the Toolset plugins disabled and see how the backend behaves, and if it is working normally I can try activating Blocks and other Toolset plugins one at a time, checking the logs and using Query Monitor to see if something in particular provokes the problem.

it's so slow it'll take some time. 4am here and on deadline but will get it done tomorrow. i'll let you know when they're disabled.

The topic ‘[Closed] unable to activate views, and other plugins are deactivating themselves’ is closed to new replies.