Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset map marker not displaying in correct location on some coordinates

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by lesleeM 1 year, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

We're trying to set up our maps to display markers on very specific street locations. We're getting the coordinates on Google Maps and putting them into an address field in Toolset Maps. Many of our markers are not displaying where they should. Here's a good example:

hidden link

If you zoom in on the marker location here, you'll see that the marker is being placed on the building Orchard Heights Gracious Retirement Living. That is not where the marker should be. The marker should be on the entranceway road coming off of the main highway there called S Hwy 27. That entranceway road leads up to the Clermont Performing Arts Center. The coordinates of the spot where it should be placed are:

28.513709748057494, -81.72668878465738

I've repasted those coordinates into an actual Google Maps page and it is showing the marker in the correct spot there, so I don't think this is a Google issue.

But on our site using Toolset Maps, the marker is actually displaying on a spot closer to

28.512964910553084, -81.72800844881856

I cannot figure out why our markers are getting moved off the exact spots on the streets where we want them to appear. It is not doing this on every marker, just some of them. I can sometimes move where I set the marker to different coordinates that work, but on some of them it keeps doing the same thing no matter where I move the markers to on the roads. These are spots without specific street addresses where we want to use precise coordinates to define the marker location.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated. I've read some other support tickets with similar issues, but I haven't found the fix yet. I saw one that said this issue was being escalated, but the answer was to wait for plugin updates that would fix it. So I thought I'd bring this back up since we're experiencing this issue now to see where you are on developing the solution.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

That is really strange and I will have to look why its happening.

I will have to review first what address you are using to display the marker.

Can you please share admin access details.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Thank you for sharing admin access details but unfortunately the shared admin access details is not working at this end.

Could you please send me working admin access details.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

When I used the lat/lon you shared: 28.513709748057494, -81.72668878465738 that as per your mention that it belongs to location "Clermont Arts and recreation Center"
but when I tried the same lat/lon on google map:
-hidden link
-
it show me the location of "Orchard Heights Gracious Retirement Living." - Can you please try to add the correct lat/lon for the location "Clermont Arts and recreation Center" and then check.

The Google URL you pasted above has the marker in the correct spot though. See how there is that entrance road from the main highway and the marker is on that road? That's where we want it to be, not on either of the buildings in there.

It seems like your system for placing the markers is interpreting our coordinates as a mistake and it's wanting to put the marker on the nearest building, which in this case is Orchard Heights Gracious Retirement Living. We don't want the marker on there, nor do we want it on Clermont Arts and Recreation Center. We want the marker precisely where it is on that entranceway when you look at it on the Google maps site, if possible.

If it isn't possible, we can go with it as is. But it would be better if your system would show the markers on the precise coordinates provided.

Am I correct that it looks like your system wants to move markers to buildings instead of placing them on the roads at precise provided coordinates? I'm seeing this on many other markers we've set, but this is the best example I could provide so you'd best understand what I mean. The marker has been moved much farther from our intended spot on this one than any of the other ones.

Waqar
Supporter

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Minesh is on vacation so I'll be following up on this ticket.

I've performed some tests and can confirm that the deviation in the stored location in the address field is due to the fact that the latitude and longitude values are rounded off, after a certain number of decimal points.

To avoid that, you can store the location using the actual lat/long combination, instead of the human-readable address, in this format:
{28.513709748057494,-81.72668878465738}

The rounding off would still take place, but the end result would be much more precise.
( example screenshot: hidden link )

regards,
Waqar

I thought I was using the coordinates already. Do you mean to add the braces around the coordinates instead of pasting them directly from copying them on Google? If so, that's no problem.

Yeah, the example in your screenshot would be fine and MUCH better.

I just set up the example post using the format provided and it works. So this is fine and consider this one resolved now.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.