Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Subcategories showing up as categories in a tree

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kim Singleton 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 8.33.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 8.18.14 AM.jpeg

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I am trying to build a category tree with categories and subcategories, but the subcategories are showing up as both subcategories and categories.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?
The example on

What is the link to your site?
hidden link



Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To troubleshoot this, I'll need to see how these nested views are set up in the admin area.

Can you please share temporary admin login details, in reply to this message?

Note: Your next reply will be private and making a complete backup copy is recommended before sharing the access details.



Thank you for sharing the access details.

I checked both the taxonomy views and noticed that they were mostly set up correctly.

The only thing missing was the query filter in the parent view 'Resource Topics' so that it shows only the parent-level terms.
( i.e. Select taxonomy terms whose parent is None. screenshot: hidden link )

I've added that and the nested list is showing correctly now.

Tip: To include the empty terms in the view's output, you can uncheck the option 'Don't show empty terms' from the view's 'Query Options'.


My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.