Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Shortcode Not Inserted in Divi

This support ticket is created 4 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 4 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I am using the latest Types/Views plugin in the latest version of Divi on the latest version of WordPress.

I create a view, and go to edit a post. Two problems:
1. In the front-end Divi builder, when I open a text box, the "Fields and Views" button does not even appear. I have seen this before in previous versions of Divi.
2. In the back-end Divi builder, when I open a text box, I can see the "Fields and Views" button, and when I click on it I am given a dialog to choose the option I want. However, when I click on "Insert Shortcode", nothing is inserted into the text box. This is true whether I use "Visual" mode or "Text" mode.

This problem occurs in both Chrome and Firefox (latest versions in both cases).

I am using the Classic Divi Builder because I have other problems with the newer builder.

David McLeod

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

There a few points to note while using Divi and Toolset together:
( covered in our documentation too: https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/toolset-divi-integration/ )

1. In the Divi -> Theme Options -> Builder -> Advanced the option "The Latest Divi Builder Experience" should be disabled and the "Classic Editor" should be enabled.

2. The Toolset shortcodes user interface ( or "Fields and Views" button ) is now by design only available in the WordPress admin area, and not while using Divi's front-end editor.
( this covers point 1 from your message )

3. Unfortunately, the Divi 4 release resulted in a number of compatibility issues with Toolset and currently, we recommend to keep Divi 3 for existing websites that are using Toolset. More details are available in this post from Amir:
https://toolset.com/2019/10/toolset-and-divi-4-issues/

The issue that you mentioned in point 2 was also reported but it later turned out that it was fixed by Divi's newer release. I just tested the "Fields and Views" button in Divi's text module and it seems to be inserting the Toolset shortcodes correctly.
( my test website has Divi theme Version: 4.0.6 )

For issue 2, can you please check if any script errors or warnings are showing in the browser's console when you try to insert the Toolset shortcodes in the admin area?

It would be a good idea to also test this with all plugins disabled, except for the Toolset and the Divi.

I hope this helps and please let me know how it goes.

regards,
Waqar

Yes, I was using "Classic Builder" only, but what I failed to do was to explicitly disable "Latest Divi Experience".

I see this as a VERY temporary fix. I think it is obvious that sooner or later, the Divi "Classic Builder" will no longer work and everyone will have to move over to the "Latest". I also think that since Divi is one of the most used Themes on the planet that you really have to find a way to work with the Latest, both on the back end AND the front end.

People who use Toolset Plugins can't simply stop using them because there is a conflict--it is a MAJOR undertaking to stop using a plugin like this, just as it is a MAJOR undertaking to switch themes away from Divi. I can assure you that I won't be dropping Divi anytime soon as the work to migrate to another theme is WAY more than it would be to migrate to something other than Toolset.

Please get your product working with the latest Divi as soon as possible.

Thanks,

David McLeod

Just thought of something. I have another workaround that allows me to use the Divi Latest.

I create an unpublished page that is not based on the Divi Builder. I can insert any shortcode easily into that page and then copy/paste the shortcode into the actual Divi page where I need it. So far this has worked without any problems.

Again, it's just another temporary solution.

David

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi David

This is Nigel, Toolset Support Leader.

I wanted to jump in here to give you a straight answer based upon the current position, which may evolve.

As I'm sure you are aware, most of our developer resources this year have been focused on supporting and enhancing the Block editing experience (Gutenberg) to make it a viable alternative to page builders. We are nearly ready to release the first production release, but that is just the beginning, and improving upon this will continue to be the main focus.

We know that some users are not enthusiastic about that, but the alternative is jumping every time Divi, Beaver, Avada, Visual Composer, Oxygen, and the current favourite, Elementor, snap their fingers, just to stand still. Meanwhile, they enhance their products and encroach on our functionality. I'm sure you can appreciate that's not sustainable.

We haven't done a great job of keeping on top of minor compatibility issues that have arisen with page builders this year, but the changes to Divi are substantial. When the new developer experience was released, one of our developers spent two days investigating and concluded that it would require a substantial effort on our part to work with the new builder. It is effectively a new product under the same name.

I won't rule out that we will add support for it in the future, but it is not in our current plans.

Right now, prompted by the issues which arose with Divi 4 even when using the classic editor (which is the only editor we support), there has been a flurry of activity to clear the backlog of issues which have accumulated, which is taking place in conjunction with Elegant Themes.

So, soon, we should be in a position to say that the Divi integration works as expected, understanding that this means with the classic editor.

It may be possible to support the new builder in the backend, we would like to be able to deliver that, but it very much depends on available resources.

You are welcome to submit a request for that (at https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/), being clear what it is you are requesting, namely support for the new builder experience in the backend.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

{ticket status updated}

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.