Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Removing Sub-level Taxonomy

This support ticket is created 2 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Author
Screenshot_439.jpg

I created a custom post type for Art and I need to filter between different types of Art such as Paintings and Drawings, etc.

We have a custom post type for "Art" but we need to post and filter different types of art.

I've view the tutorials many times but I'm still a bit confused and could use some clarification please:

Already having a custom post type for "Art, I also created a taxonomy for "Art".

Next I attempted to create two additional taxonomies for "Paintings and Drawings" but two taxonomies I created previously in error, remain listed even though I attempted to delete and re-add the main "Art" taxonomy.

1. Would it be correct to use the described hierarchical taxonomy, to filter types of Art posts?

2. Can the sub-level taxonomy I previously created, be deleted permanently?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Firstly, if you created a taxonomy that you no longer want to use you can go to Toolset > Taxonomies and simply delete it.

If you want to retain the taxonomy but delete some of the terms you created for the taxonomy, you can do so in the back end from the list of terms which you access via the post type to which the taxonomy is assigned (much like you edit terms of the built-in category taxonomy that belong to normal posts by hovering over Posts in the admin sidebar and then clicking Categories).

Be careful with the terminology (I'm not entirely clear what you are describing above as I'm not sure you are using it correctly).

Let me use an example. I have a Paints post type, and I create a Colour taxonomy assigned to Paints posts.

I then add terms to my Colour taxonomy, e.g. red, blue, yellow, purple.

I may use a hierarchical taxonomy and I can then add sub-terms, so crimson, burgundy and claret may all have red as a parent term.

I may use a hierarchical taxonomy not because I want to add hierarchical terms in this way, but simply because of the UI WordPress uses for its terms, i.e. checkboxes, as distinct to the free-form UI for non-hiearchical taxonomies (like tags).

If you have an Art post type and wanted to categorise it by the type of art then I imagine you would create an "Art type" taxonomy which would have terms painting, drawing, sculpture etc., and maybe it makes sense to add sub-terms, e.g. painting may have child terms such as oil, watercolour, acrylic etc.

I finally understand now, thank you.

I did not realize we could use the same keyword "Art" and "Art Type" for both, the custom post types and the parent taxonomy, and the thought of secondary sub-term usages enabled me to understand more clearly.

Thank you again.

Screenshot_462.jpg

The article you provided, which was not helpful, linked to a related article where apparently Toolset instructs users how to enable image cropping, instead of prevent it: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/displaying-images-with-toolset/

Is there an article link for how to prevent cropping entirely?

New threads created by Jamal and linked to this one are listed below:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/disabling-cropping-on-the-image-block/

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello there! This is Jamal for the Toolset support team. If you don't mind, I'll continue with you on this ticket.

However, for support rules, we are able to handle only one issue at a time. This helps us to bring you a better service and also helps other users to find all the information here exposed. For that reason, I have created another ticket to answer your last question(about cropping). I'll be posting my reply there.

If you believe that your original question of this ticket has been answered, please mark this ticket as resolved. Otherwise, let me know your questions and I'll do my best to help.

Thank you.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.