Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Post revisions + autosave + performance

This support ticket is created 3 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by dimitrisb-2 3 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi,

Will I break something if I disable post revisions and autosaves? I think it will make my editing easier.

hidden link

Thanks

related to the above, one thing that's happening is that I dont see my saves immediately or I have to refresh to see my changes.

I have Chrome as the admin and Opera as a user. I am editing a page as an admin I am making a change I save, I go to Opera and I cant see it OR I see it in Opera but not in Chrome!!!!

any ideas?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

The auto-save/post revisions feature from WordPress frequently make copies of the post/page that is being edited in the background. These copies help to restore un-saved changes, in an event you have to stop editing abruptly, for any reason.

As long as you're frequently saving the changes that you're making, disabling auto-save/post revisions feature can bring in performance and user experience benefits.
( as the database won't be crowded and while editing you'll not have to wait for the auto-save to complete in the background, constantly )

If you're editing the content through admin area in one browser window/tab and viewing the relevant front-end page in another, it is normal and expected behavior that you'll have to refresh the front-end page to view any changes.
( there is no auto refresh involved that would sync the front-end pages, with the changes in the admin )

Also depending on the cache settings imposed by any plugin or server's cache policy, there can be slight delay after which visitors can start seeing the changes on the front-end.
( since to improve page loading speed, visitors may be seeing the cached content and not the up-to-date original content )

regards,
Waqar

I know how the web works thanks,

The problem is that after i refresh i dont see the changes doh!

I also asked if disabling revistions autosave affect toolset not what it does in general 🙂 My tests so far so weird results like not able to save/update, can you confirm that toolset is not affected?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thanks for writing back.

I've done some tests on my website by adding these two lines in the "wp-config.php" file:

define('AUTOSAVE_INTERVAL', 300 ); // seconds
define('WP_POST_REVISIONS', false );

After that, I tested editing and saving some content templates, views and regular pages and faced no difficulty in saving them.

Are you seeing any error or warning on the screen or in the browser's console?

To troubleshoot this you can temporary turn on WordPress debugging and see if any errors/warnings are logged in the server's error logs, whenever changes are not saved.
( ref: https://wordpress.org/support/article/debugging-in-wordpress/ )

A screen-cast/video of the issue would also help in understanding the exact steps to reproduce it.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.