Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Post form builder is breaking when form is saved

This support ticket is created 3 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 3 years ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I am trying to:

Add a field to a conditional group in the visual form builder and add a repeating group to the form as well.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:

The repeating field group in the builder and the conditional group function

Instead, I got:

no repeater field and the conditional group was not working after saving - shown in video here - hidden link thanks!

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

rfg-post-type-in-forms.png

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

1. The repeating field group data is stored in the back-end as a separate hidden post type, which is why you'll need to use a separate form to add or edit them.

In the form's setting to select the post type, you'll see all repeating field groups, available as a separate option.
( example screenshot attached )

This means that you'll not be able to manage them from within the parent post's form, but instead, you can go with any of these options ( after the parent has been created using the first form ):

a). You can show the form to add a new repeating field group item on the single post page of the parent post.
Or
b). You can create a new page with a form to add a new repeating field group item and prefill the option for the parent post, using the URL parameter.

2. The issue with a visual form editor and the conditional group is already reported:
https://toolset.com/errata/conditionally-hidden-fields-in-toolset-forms-are-removed-from-the-drag-and-drop-editor-if-you-edit-the-form/

I'm afraid, I don't have a time estimate to share at the moment, but I'll keep you updated on the progress through this ticket.

Meanwhile, the workaround is to stay with the expert mode in the form editor, in forms where a conditional group is involved.

regards,
Waqar

So basically repeating fields groups are child hidden post types and cant be included in the parent form like a repeating field?

I would love to just have 2 repeating fields like page url, and page content and you just click a plus and get another set in the parent form similar to the repeatable field just grouped haha. So that is not possible in that way? I really don't want to be doing the whole sub-post type deal, if I did I would make another child post type and set it up like your suggesting.

I appreciate you getting back, just not the way I thought it worked. and I can just use the advanced form builder. Thanks!

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back and your understanding is correct.

To summarize, you have these options:

a). you can continue with the repeating field groups or separate child post types, with the downside that you'll have to use multiple forms.
OR
b). you can add page URL and page content fields as repeating fields, but they won't be grouped together.
OR
c). if finite instances of grouped fields can be an option, you can add non-repeating fields like:
- page URL 1
- page content 1

- page URL 2
- page content 2

- page URL 3
- page content 3

Thanks Waqar,
I appreciate the clear and helpful request I want to show you exactly what I'm wanting to do and a working example so I can make sure I'm setting this up in the intended toolset manner (explainer video)- hidden link . Thanks Again!

I am trying to add the repeatable form to the single post page but it wont show up - hidden link thanks!

Jk Im retarded haha it was not enabled in access for my role. So ignore that last one.

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing the example in the first video.

Since form within form is not officially supported, I won't recommend to go with any hack/workaround that may work work now, but would result in consistency or compatibility issues, in a longer run.

I see a menu like options to attach related content in the second video, which is a good idea. You can set the parent post's form to always redirect to the single post page.

In that single post's content template you can show a form to add a new child post/repeating field group item and a post view that shows the list of already added repeating field group items, where they can be deleted or edited.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance with any of these steps.

Waqar
Supporter

Hi,

I'd like to inform you that the issue with a visual form editor and the conditional group was fixed in Toolset Forms 2.6.4.
( ref: https://toolset.com/errata/conditionally-hidden-fields-in-toolset-forms-are-removed-from-the-drag-and-drop-editor-if-you-edit-the-form/ )

You're welcome to update and let us know through a new ticket, in case you still experience something out of place.

regards,
Waqar

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.