Skip Navigation

[Resolved] New Image Slider not appearing in Toolset Blocks

This support ticket is created 3 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by russellH-3 3 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Make an image slider as per the instructions on this page: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/sliders-of-static-images-for-pages/.

I'm putting this Image Slider into an existing Content Template. I'd like the slider to dynamically get the images and caption content from some Custom Fields which are already integrated with this Content Template.

Currently what I'm finding is that in the Image Slider block isn't picking up on the Custom Fields. I'm choosing 'Post Source: Current Post' and for 'Source: No Options', so I can't specify the Custom Fields to pull in here.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I've watched this tutorial: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/dynamic-galleries-and-sliders-for-templates-displaying-repeating-image-fields/ ... and I can see some differences between how the Custom Fields were set up, which may be causing my problems.

In your tutorial the Custom Fields are part of the post type on the Toolset Dashboard. In my setup, I don't have this integration. This is for a reason: on some Pages I don't want these Custom Fields to appear, whereas on other Pages that use both a PHP template file I made AND a Content Template, is where I'd like those Fields to appear.

I'm sorry if this is very confusing — it's hard to explain.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
The page I'm trying to insert the slider into is at the bottom of this one: hidden link. You can't see anything there now because I can't get this working on the Content Template. I want to replace the grid of book covers and purchase links with an image slider of these covers.

It's probably best if I give you back end access.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Thanks!

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Indeed, I think, that accessing your website will help me understand the issue better. But I'll also need more details.
From what I understand so far, you found difficulties to build a slider that will pull images from a custom field, right?
Some general questions: What post types? What custom field? Where do you intend to display it?
Some specific questions: What view are you working on? ID or URL to edit it? What content template are you trying to use the slider in?

Your next reply will be private to let you share credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hi Russell! Thank you very much for the details. It was very helpful to me. I confirm that the source to get the images for the slider is absent. No way to get the images from a repeatable group on a slider block.
I am approaching our 2nd Tier to confirm if this is expected or if there are any plans to support repeatable groups in the slider block.

In the meantime, I can suggest two workarounds that are based on a new view:
- Use the AJAX pagination.
- Generate the view content and use a 3rd party library to turn it into a slider.

For the first case, I already created a view and configured it. Even though you are using Toolset Blocks, views are created under the ground and the menu Tooset->Views is omitted. You can get it back by activating the legacy editor in Toolset->Settings->Editting experience. Basically, a view is used to display a list, and a content template is used to display a single post. Check our glossary for more reading https://toolset.com/glossary/

Here are the steps that I followed:
1. Insert a view block and create a new view for it. Check this screenshot hidden link
2. Choose a repeatable field for the view. Check this screenshot hidden link
3. Configure AJAX Pagination and configure how many items, I choose 2 to force the generation of pagination, because the page of the test has only 3 images.
4. Insert blocks inside the view loop. I used blocks from Toolset(Image, Header, and Button), if you want to have a background image, you can use a container block and configure its background to pull an image dynamically.
5. Add navigation below the loop of the view.

Please note, that you can use the Block navigation to choose what block to work on it. It will be useful for configuring different parts of the view(View itself, loop, search, pagination, etc.) Check this screenshot hidden link

Note that I have put my view in container block to distinguish it easily, and I have added a title to demonstrate it. Check this screenshot: hidden link

If you need to create a different slider that the one possible with the AJAX pagination of a view, you can generate markup for the view and use a third-party library to build the slider. You can put the required Javascript and CSS files on your theme or on the view of CSS and Javascript sections.

I hope these workarounds help. Let me know if you have any questions about them. And once I got a feedback from our 2nd Tier, I'll get back to you.

Hi Jamal:

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. I'll get back on this on Wednesday when I'm back from the break.

Kind regards, Russell

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Jamal is on Vacation. This is Minesh here and I will take care of this ticket. I hope this is OK.

Yes, sure. Please get in touch with us whenever you can.

Hi Jamal and Minesh:

Jamal, thank you so much for all that effort you put into this, as well as the informative instructions and screenshots. I've saved all those in case I need to do something like this again.

I am going to speak with my client about this and see what they think. Something tells me they were hoping for large left and right arrows on either side of the sliding content, rather than the pagination numbers, but I'll find out.

Thanks again for all your help!

Kind regards, Russell

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.