Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Multiple instances of the same post in a relationship

This support ticket is created 2 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 2 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I have a relationship set up between posts and a custom post type 'Blueprint'. Blueprints are basically reading lists, and posts are texts on the reading list.

Sometimes, the same text appears twice on the reading list, for example, it's a book and one week we're reading chapter 1, the next week we are reading chapter 2.

Can I solve this by displaying the same post twice within a single Blueprint, and just indicate the different Chapters as values in the custom fields of the intermediary posts? Or will I have to add the two chapters as separate posts?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

As posts represent the text in a reading list, it would make sense to add chapters as separate posts, for example:

- Book A: Chapter 1
- Book A: Chapter 2
- Book B: Chapter 1
- Book B: Chapter 2

regards,
Waqar

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, that's how I've been doing it up to that point. The issue is, there are more cases of this than I expected! And then I end up with duplicate entries for the same book, which is not ideal for users who just want to look for the books.

Anyway, does this mean that it's not going to be possible and I just need to live with adding chapters as separate posts?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, I'm afraid, this is the most consistent and reliable workaround that I can think of.

For referencing a complete book, you can include its own post, e.g.

- Book A
- Book A: Chapter 1
- Book A: Chapter 2
- Book B
- Book B: Chapter 1
- Book B: Chapter 2

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.