Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Import checkboxes data via WP All In One Import Toolset Plugin

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The customer asked if there is a way to import Toolset's checkbox/checkboxes type field data, using the WP-All-In-One Import plugin.

Solution:
Guided that there is no direct method available for this type of import but shared a workaround that is known to work:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/import-checkboxes-data-via-wp-all-in-one-import-toolset-plugin/#post-2422897

Relevant Documentation:
n/a

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by terryE 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to populate a checkboxes field. I understand this is problematic, due to old code / way this data is stored, so figured I would purchase the WP all-in-one plugin for Toolset so help get around the issue - but nothing imports with that.

Are there any top-secret ways to get around this? 😀

Thanks,
Terry.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Terry,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

Your understanding is correct and there is no official method that can be used to import the checkbox/checkboxes type field data.

But there is a workaround that was shared by a user, with a similar requirement:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/importing-data-to-checkbox-fields-using-wp-all-import-addon/#post-1312843

This can be tricky for a 'checkboxes' type custom field (compared to a 'checkbox' type), as there are multiple options involved and you'll have to take into consideration not only the case where any single option is checked but also all the possible combinations where multiple options are checked.

You can set up the checkboxes type custom field (on the same website where you're importing) and create one dummy post for each possible combination case of the checkboxes type field selection.

From the database or the export file, you can note down the exact serialized string data stored in that custom field's meta key for each of those posts.

After that, you can use those same data strings as values in the export file to store the respective checkboxes selection state.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

WPAI have come back to me now, hopefully they will sort it 🙂

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.