Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Implement 3rd party Shortcodes into Editor

This support ticket is created 7 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Author

mb

Hi Guys @onTheGo Systems!

Could you please consider implementing the standard WordPress Editor to create Views and/or Content Templates? Or just to make i.e. "insert shortcodes"-buttons from 3rd party plugins appear in your editor without the need to register each and every 3rd-party shortcode via the setting of Views?

That would make it much easier to design the Output of Views or Content Templates, because it would be possible to use Rows/Columns etc. handled by i.e. a shortcode plugin. I wouldn't have to copy and paste all design elements, which should output the content created by Views or a Content Template to match the site' overall design (besides font-family declarations and sizes).

By the way, I bought a Divi License because of your integration with Layouts. I like it, but to use all functions Divi (or any other PageBuilder or Shortcodes plugin) has to offer, the content generated by Views should be handled by those plugins, if possible. I think of using the Divi Builder to create a View and to put the Views-shortcodes in the corresponding headline- or content-fields in the Divi Builder. It that's not possible, the implementation of i.e. Shortcodes Ultimate, which offers rows, columns and all types of elements, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for considering my suggestions and a short feedback.

Kind regards and greetings from Germany!

Bernhard

mb

Hi Juan!

I just realized, that the editor in the CRED Forms supports third-party shortcodes like the usual WP Editor does. All "Insert Shortcodes"-Buttons do show up.

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Bernhard

Thanks for your feedback.

There are good reasons why Views and Content Templates are using custom editors. As we are heavily based on shortcodes, having a syntax highlighting is a plus feature. Also, the native WordPress editor 8TinyMCE) is updated on its own schedule, and supporting it becomes a mess sometimes. You noticed that we still use it when editing CRED forms, and we know it is not always easy to work with. For example, if you can not support the advanced buttons out-of-the-box, you can disable the extra buttons, as we do here.

But we do agree that you have a point. If you have a page builder, which adds it own formatting buttons to the native post editor, and genertes a layout structure, Views and Content Templates become less usefull if you can not integrate them with such features. Adding the native editor to our edit pages is one way to try to solve it, but not the only one.

We do have hooks where those third party editor buttons can hook, but we also understand that it might be difficult for them to add the button and then provide all the rst of support until the structure is added to the editor textarea. Because of that, we do have plans to bring that support ourselves. I can not say too much because this is a just-born project on its early satges and it will need quite a lot of time to implement, but please accept my word: we are working on this indeed.

So please stay tunned, we will have news on this eventually.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

mb

Hi Juan!

So the only option I have as of now is to register every Shortcode I use to build Structures (i.e. Bootstrap Shortcodes or Shortcodes Ultimate's rows and columns) and copying/pasting it into the Views/Content Template editor? That would completely fulfill my needs.

Is there an option to hook the "Insert shortcodes"-Button into your editor or just enabling it again? That would be update-safe and won't come along with the the need to register every shortcode.

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Bernhard

In most of the cases, you do not even need to register your shortcodes as third party ones. The Views editors get the full shortcode management exactly as native WordPress editors, so third party shortcodes work out of the box. The third party shortcodes setting in Views is used for advanced things, like shortcodes as attributes for other shortcodes.

So just copying and pasting your structure into the Views editors would be more than enough.

I do not think we can easily add third party buttons to those editors, however. Inserting data into an editor is not trivial, and we have our own method, which is not the exact same as the native WordPress one. If is were a Quicktag (the ones for bold, italic and whatnot on the HTML native editor), it would be easier, but it might not be the case. As I said, we have plans to provide compatibility with some theme builders in out Content Template editors, and then extend to other Views editors, but that is a project we just started and that will need time. A promising project, in my opinion 🙂

Hope it helps.

Regards.

mb

Hi Juan,

I just want to close this thread as I am awaiting the announced possibility to make use of the Divi Builder to build Content Templates, Views and CRED Forms.

Kind regards.

Bernhard

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.