Skip Navigation

[Closed] How to set up a defacto temporal database in Toolset by using repeater fields

This support ticket is created 8 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 8 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

I have a company directory built on Toolset which is operating well (generally). Each company in the directory has a profile that is created with CRED forms and displayed using Views and content templates... but each field only ever has the current data displayed.

I have been collecting data on the companies externally from the directory and will continue to do so. I am now looking to bring that data into the website and displaying current and historical data in a bunch of new fields and displaying the data relevant to each company when the company's profile is viewed. I want to be able to give the user the ability to display data for different periods, via a parametric search filter.

I wonder how I would best do this within the context of a toolset based site. We anticipate uploading new data every fortnight... so I don't think we really need a full on temporal database.

I wonder if we did the following:

1. created a new field in the Company CPT for every new piece of data we are collecting
2. set up each new field as a repeater
3. the oldest piece of data would be inputted first and each new piece added against each field
4. somehow set things up so the user could select which piece of data to display with the most recent being the last one uploaded or inputted.

I have read https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/repeating-fields/#Displaying%20Repeating%20Fields, and think I can figure out how to set a view to display a certain ordered value of the field... but how do I let a user select which value or values to view in a parametric search? eg current, last fortnight, 2 fortnight's ago?

Then there is the issue of enabling the user to select results from a certain date, rather then selecting which number to display, eg 5 March, 19, March, 4 April etc.

Could you please suggest how I could achieve this?

Do you have any suggestions for an alternate approach?

cheers

Peter

Dear Peter,

Could you describe the question with more details?
but how do I let a user select which value or values to view in a parametric search? eg current, last fortnight, 2 fortnight's ago?

How do you setup the view? how do you setup the custom field?
Are you going to setup a view which:
1) list posts of Company CPT
2) filter by the a custom multiple instances date field

And here is a document about Views date filter:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/date-filters/

Hope it help

Luoy

Thanks for getting back to me and apologies for my delay in responding to you.

I am working out a clearer requirements summary and will respond in detail soon.

kind regards

Please update this thread when the summary is ready, thanks

The topic ‘[Closed] How to set up a defacto temporal database in Toolset by using repeater fields’ is closed to new replies.