Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How do I change a "field name"

This support ticket is created 3 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by David 3 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I have imported a bunch of custom post types into Toolset and I am trying to figure out how to edit the "field name". Right now the field names are the same as the slugs. Many of the field names are not very discriptive. I would like to change the field names so that they appear in an easy to understand and read format in the admin panel. Now it is hard to know which field is which when you are filling in the fields to create a new post.

Also, is there a way to reorder the fields on the create a new entry for a post type in the back end. Right not an image field and the caption for that image are not near each other in the list of fields that I have to fill out each time I create a new entry.

I am sorry this is probably pretty easy, but I have searched in the forum and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks!

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

post-field-control.png

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To be able to edit the field names of the imported custom fields, you'll first need to let Toolset Types take control of those fields, as explained in this guide:
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/convert-existing-custom-types-and-fields-to-types-control/

In summary, you'll first create a new custom field group, just as you would for the regular Toolset Types custom fields.
( ref: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-custom-fields/ )

Next, you'll take control of the desired imported custom fields, using the "Post Field Control" button, as shown in the attached screenshot, and add them into this newly created custom field group.

Once these fields are being controlled by Toolset Types, you'll be able to rename the field titles and also change their order in the admin area.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.