Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Hiding Title Correctly

This support ticket is created 2 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by simchaH 2 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi,

I am attempting to hide the title for one of my CPT's I created, and I went to toggle off the option of Title under the "sections to display when editing" inside my Post Type. A couple of issues came up:
1. It doesn't allow me to save a new post anymore, because although hidden, it is apparently still a required field so how do I go about adding new posts without the Title?
2. It will still show on the main page of the CPT, showing "All Posts", and I want it hidden over there as well if I won't be using it anyway.

Are there workarounds for these?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

1. It doesn't allow me to save a new post anymore, because although hidden, it is apparently still a required field so how do I go about adding new posts without the Title?

- I couldn't reproduce this behavior on my test website. Once, I disabled the "Title" from the post type's settings, I was able to save new posts and edit existing ones, without the title.

Can you please make sure that no custom code, third-party plugin, or active theme functionality is affecting this? It would be interesting to test this with all non-Toolset plugins disabled and a default theme like Twenty Twenty-One.

2. It will still show on the main page of the CPT, showing "All Posts", and I want it hidden over there as well if I won't be using it anyway.

- There is no built-in method to remove the "Title" column from the post list screen in the admin area. To remove it, you can either use a third-party plugin like "Admin Columns" ( ref: https://wordpress.org/plugins/codepress-admin-columns/ ) or add some custom code.

Here are some useful resources on the topic:
hidden link
https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/152971/replacing-the-title-in-admin-list-table/152978

regards,
Waqar

Since I have no idea where the error is coming from, and I do not want to start deactivating plugins, I was thinking of a workaround. - Is there a simple solution for changing just the title name on the page (see image)? Perhaps if I can change the name to something else, I can use the actual Title fields as one of my CPT fields, and just delete one of those fields in the custom fields section in Toolset.

Thanks!

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back.

It seems that the image was somehow missed from your last reply.

Can you please share temporary admin login details along with the image that you mentioned?

It will help in better understanding what you have in mind.

Note: Your next reply will be private and it is recommended to make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing these details.

The third code snippet from this forum thread can be used to change the title in the admin column list:
https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/a/152978

add_filter(
    'manage_{post}_posts_columns',
    'wpse152971_replace_column_title_method_b'
);
function wpse152971_replace_column_title_method_b( $posts_columns ) {
    //print_r($posts_columns);
    $posts_columns[ 'title' ] = 'new title';
    return $posts_columns;
}

Note: you'll replace the '{post}' part with the actual slug of your target custom post type ( without {} ).

Tip: These changes can also be applied without using custom code, with help of the plugin "Admin Columns" ( ref: https://wordpress.org/plugins/codepress-admin-columns/ ).

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.