Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Help me choose between CPT and Taxonomy

This support ticket is created 2 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Author

They have a separate article for custom taxonomy: hidden link

I did read it but I am not knowledgeable enough in PHP to make use of that info.

So to make sure I got it right if going with taxonomy for the "free" filter.

Should I make "Free" a new taxonomy for Courses and duplicate all categories in it and set up its permalink using the pro plugin? Is there any way to have "Free" as a custom taxonomy but not have to duplicate and maintain duplicates of the categories?

Thank you.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

I worked on this for a couple of hours on my local setup, but I am really sorry, I could not make it work.

My apologies, but I can't offer further support as this is out of the scope of the support forum.

All the best for your project,
Jamal

I appreciate all your support on this.

Before we close it please answer one more thing on taxonomy and will go this route.

Should I make "Free" a new taxonomy for Courses and duplicate all categories in it?

Is there any way to have "Free" as a custom taxonomy but not have to duplicate and maintain duplicates of the categories?

Thank you.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Thank you for your understanding.

Should I make "Free" a new taxonomy for Courses and duplicate all categories in it?
I believe you can do that. I just run a small test, and I was able to register the same term(actually the same slug) in two different taxonomies.
This gives me the idea, of actually, creating a sub-category(Free) for each course category. Then, the post that is free should have both terms assigned to it, the category and its free sub-category) 🙂
I find it a really nice workaround. Sorry for not thinking about it.

Is there any way to have "Free" as a custom taxonomy but not have to duplicate and maintain duplicates of the categories?
Theoretically, yes. Using rewrite rules. Personally, I could not figure it out.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.