Skip Navigation

[Resolved] ' getting replaced by ' in View editor and causing problems with Views

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by liatG 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Waqar.

Author
Posts
#2424269
Screenshot_Liat 2022-07-24 at 4.25.56 PM.jpg

When I open an existing View to edit it, the HTML shows up with an issue. All the ' (apostrophes) are replaced by ampersand pound 0 3 9 colon (if I paste in the actual unicode it just translates in this ticket to apostrophe). See the screenshot for the actual code.

If I save the View as-is, it does not show up correctly on my site. I have to use a text editor to change the ' back to ' before it works right. Also it's frustrating to have to do this just to be able to understand the HTML I have written.

You can see an example of this in any View of mine you open: hidden link is one example. This one is not very important so I don't mind you opening to see what I mean. it in case it does get messed up.

#2424445

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

This isn't normal, and the likeliest explanation is that another plugin is causing the problem.

Do you have a staging site for testing?

You could try disabling all non-Toolset plugins and test editing existing Views (or create, save, and then re-edit a new test View) to confirm that the issue is caused by a conflict, and then try to determine which one by a process of trial and error.

Or look through your plugins and try to guess which ones could be interfering with the editor, and focus on those? HTML Editor Syntax Highlighter or Insert HTML Snippet maybe?

#2425063

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for this idea. I went into Troubleshooting Mode on my site to test this out. I enabled only the Toolset plugins and unfortunately confirmed that this issue persists, even with all other plugins disabled.

This didn't always happen with Toolset Views on my site. I've had Toolset for 4+ years and this just started 6 months ago or so.

Do you have any other ideas for how to stop this from happening? Thanks!!
Liat

#2425135

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Liat,

Thank you for sharing this update.

I couldn't reproduce this on my test website, which suggests that something specific to your website is involved.

To troubleshoot this further, I'll suggest the following steps:

1. Please make sure that the Astra theme and all the plugins are updated to the latest versions.

2. It would be interesting to test saving the classic/legacy view's editor content in a couple of different devices and browsers. A browser extension or add-on can be causing this conversion.

The test in this case would mean fixing the view's content for any converted ' (apostrophes) and then saving the view again in different browsers. If the ' (apostrophes) are already converted and saved in the view and you'll check it in a different browser then it will only be showing the already converted characters.

Let us know how it goes and in case the issue persists, we'll need your permission to download a clone/snapshot of the website to test this on a different server.

regards,
Waqar

#2428429

Hi Waqar,
Thanks for your help!

I updated my themes and plugins (except for those few plugins where I don't have the current version - but those were all deactivated during the initial troubleshoot).

I tested the issue in Chrome and it persisted. I had been using Firefox.

I'd be happy to give you permission to clone the website to investigate further.
Thanks,
Liat

#2428957

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thanks for writing back.

After further troubleshooting, it turns out that this conversion only happens for a specific user, if the option "Disable the visual editor when writing" is checked on the user profile page.
( WP Admin -> Users -> Profile )

Please disable this option and you won't see the encoded/converted characters on the view editor screen.

#2429177

Amazing! Thank you! I tried it and the issue is solved. How on earth did you figure that out?!

Anyway, is there any possibility that this could change, that the issue could be solved even if the option "Disable the visual editor when writing" is checked on the user profile page?

I leave it checked by default, on purpose. So I'd have to go un-check it each time I go to edit a View.

At any rate I'm still very happy you found me a solution!

#2429579

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thanks for the update and glad I could help.

I've shared these findings with the concerned team for further review and will keep you updated through this ticket.

Meanwhile, I'm afraid, disabling that option is the only workaround available, to avoid this.

#2429871

Thank you so much! I hope even though I'm marking the ticket as resolved that you'll let me know if there's ever a full solution to this. And thank you so much for this workaround. This was driving me crazy!
- Liat