Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Form type and post type do not match

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Form type and post type do not match

Solution:
You can find detailed explanation about available different forms entities.

You can find the proposed solution, in this case, with the following reply:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/form-type-and-post-type-do-not-match-2/#post-1114308

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/publish-content-from-the-front-end/forms-for-editing/

This support ticket is created 5 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by MaureenR3428 5 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I am trying to: get a form to display properly

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: the form

Instead, I got: Form type and post type do not match Message

I am new using Toolset, and I am sure the solution to this is simple, but I have gone around in circles trying to figure it out.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

First of all - After checking to debug information you shared with us, I found that you are using outdated Toolset plugins. We just released new version for Types, Views and Forms plugin. We always recommend running your site with latest stable release plugin version.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
Could you please update ALL Toolset plugins to it's latest official released version. You can download latest plugin release from your accounts page:
=> https://toolset.com/account/downloads/

Now, regarding your form, I need to check which form you are using and where. Could you please share problem URL so I can check what thing causing the issue.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important. If you agree to this, please use the form fields I have enabled below to provide temporary access details (wp-admin and FTP).

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

I see on your install - you have User form "Edit Grantee Profile" - Do you want to edit this form? If no:

Here is how you can setup your Edit form - Could you please follow the guidance and try to resolve your issue.
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/publish-content-from-the-front-end/forms-for-editing/

Thanks Minesh,

Yes, that form needs to be edited. It is a Profile form that people will update yearly, at least.

You typed Do you want to edit this form? If no:

Here is how you can setup your Edit form - Could you please follow the guidance and try to resolve your issue.
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/publish-content-from-the-front-end/forms-for-editing/

What to do if the form does need updating? I believe I already followed the instructions on that link when setting up the form.

I have another form created called "Grantee Profile" It is set up to collect new information, but I think that people can go into it and update it, even though it is created to add new content, not edit existing content.

This is where I am getting mixed up. When to create a form to add new content, when to create a form to edit existing content, are both needed?

I read the instructions and when creating a form to edit existing content, I must set up a template and have a layout. But to have a layout an existing form is needed. Very confusing.

I appreciate you assistance and guidance.

Minesh
Supporter

This is where I am getting mixed up. When to create a form to add new content, when to create a form to edit existing content, are both needed?
==> Well
- if you want to allow users to create a new entries (posts) for your post type, you should create a Create Form.
- If you want to allow users to Edit Existing posts - you need Edit form.

I will check this further tomorrow.

Minesh
Supporter

Well - I would like to know which "Edit Grantee Profile" you want to Edit?

Do you want to build Edit profile form for all posts of post type "Grantee Profile"? or you want to edit specific "Grantee Profile" post?

I think this is where the confusion is for me.

"Create content - Grantee Profiles Post Type" is for the Grantee Profile Post type. Users complete the form.

The users will often go back and update their profile form. I have used a link on the My Account page to take them to their profile form for updating and save it. Just as users can go in and update their post/pages in WordPress now.

Reading the ToolSet Documentation (https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/publish-content-from-the-front-end/forms-for-editing/), I seem to need a second "New form for Editing Content". That's the "Edit Grantee Profile" form I built -- the one that give me the error message: Form type and post type do not match.

Why two forms? What is the purpose of the New Edit form? What does it do? How is it used? Do I even need it?

I don't understand this process at all, especially if WP users can go into their regular post/pages and make updates.

Thanks again for your help.

Minesh
Supporter

Why two forms? What is the purpose of the New Edit form? What does it do? How is it used? Do I even need it?
==> Well - let me explain you.

There are Two major categories of Toolset Forms:
1) Post Forms
- Either you can create new entries for specific post type to which form is attached to
- Or You can EDIT EXISTING post/entries of specific post type to which the form attached to
--- So, if you have Edit post form to Edit Existing Entry of specific post type, you must specify which Existing Entry you want to Edit - correct? Yes,

2) User Forms:
- Create/Register New User
- Edit Existing User Profiles

Now, I need to know your complete flow after login user what he will do? You want to allow a user to Edit "Post Forms of specific post type" Or "User his own Profile"?

If you specify complete flow with few screenshots and links it will help me to guide you in the right direction.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.