Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Error when "check_if_allowed_by_user_role" shortcode is displayed without log in

This support ticket is created 2 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by davidH-33 2 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
toolset-shortcode-error.jpg

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Waqar provided me 2 days ago this custom function / shortcode to be able displaying content based on the user role:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/displaying-view-that-shows-only-items-related-to-user-role-of-logged-user/

function check_if_allowed_by_user_role_func( $atts ) {
    // Attributes
    $atts = shortcode_atts(
        array(
            'user_id' => '',
            'field_slug' => '',
        ),
        $atts
    );

// get user's roles
    $user_info = get_userdata((int)$atts['user_id']);
    $user_roles = $user_info->roles;

// get role from the current post's custom field
    $role_from_field = types_render_field( $atts['field_slug'], array( ) );

// check if the role from the custom field is attached with the user
    if (in_array($role_from_field, $user_roles)) {
        // return 1 if found
        return 1;
    }
    else
    {
        // return 0 if not found
        return 0;
    }
}
add_shortcode( 'check_if_allowed_by_user_role', 'check_if_allowed_by_user_role_func' ); 

Shortcode:

[wpv-conditional if="( '[check_if_allowed_by_user_role user_id='[wpv-user field='ID']' field_slug='userrolefilmonline']' eq '1' )"]
Allowed!
[/wpv-conditional]

The conditional shortcode works fine in view as long as user is logged in. Is there any chance to modify the function / shortcode to get rid of this error?
"Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in /www/doc/www.acfk.cz/www/wp-content/toolset-customizations/check_if_allowed_by_user_role.php on line 26"
hidden link

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/displaying-view-that-shows-only-items-related-to-user-role-of-logged-user/

Is there a similar example that we can see?
hidden link

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Hello,

The [wpv-user] shortcode will display information for the current logged-in user, in your case, you can try these:
modify this line from:

$user_info = get_userdata((int)$atts['user_id'])

To:

if($atts['user_id']){
	$user_info = get_userdata((int)$atts['user_id'])
}else{
	return 0;
}

And test again

Thank you, the issue with error message for non-logged users has been fixed with your advice. However I noticed that the shortcode for conditional displaying based on user roles works fine only in the View. When I put this shortcode directly into Elementor shortcode or text widget it outputs 0 even on pages of items with the right custom field text value. So I'm not sure If I have to change the conditional shortcode for using it in Elementor in some way.

[wpv-conditional if="( '[check_if_allowed_by_user_role user_id='[wpv-user field='ID']' field_slug='userrolefilmonline']' eq '1' )"]
Allowed!
[/wpv-conditional]

New threads created by Luo Yang and linked to this one are listed below:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/custom-shortcode-in-elementor-shortcode-or-text-widget/

I assume the original question of this thread is resolved, according to our support policy, we prefer one question on ticket, for other Elementor questions, please check the new thread here:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/custom-shortcode-in-elementor-shortcode-or-text-widget/

Original question / issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.