Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Error: Row size too large

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
When I Add a new Custom Field in Types, I receive this error:

WordPress database error: [Row size too large (> 8126). Changing some columns to TEXT or BLOB or using ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC or ROW_FORMAT=COMPRESSED may help. In current row format, BLOB prefix of 768 bytes is stored inline.]

http://www.screencast.com/t/6p8sIUTRrP

Solution:
It is a BUG in mySQL (depending on the version):
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/innodb-parameters.html#sysvar_innodb_log_file_size

It can be that you have several(!), Field groups and fields so the wp_options table is exhausted.

Above linked solution helps.

This support ticket is created 7 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by carlosV-3 7 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I am trying to: Add a new Custom Field

I visited this URL:

I expected to see: It added/saved

Instead, I got:

WordPress database error: [Row size too large (> 8126). Changing some columns to TEXT or BLOB or using ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC or ROW_FORMAT=COMPRESSED may help. In current row format, BLOB prefix of 768 bytes is stored inline.]

hidden link

This is usually an error due to mySQL.
It can be a BUG in mySQL (depending on the version):
hidden link

It can be that you have several, but I mean several, Field groups and fields so the wp_options table is exhausted.

I need more information how to replicate this, on an install with the latest Toolset and WordPress.

Can you give me an idea of how many Fields you already have there?

Hi Beda,

Thanks for your quick reply.

And you are correct. This is probably a bug in my version of MySQL, which is 5.6.x.

As for my fix, I applied this settings in my.cnf file.

From

# innodb_log_file_size = 5M
# innodb_log_buffer_size = 8M

To

innodb_log_file_size = 15M
innodb_log_buffer_size = 18M

I'm not sure if the second setting is even needed, but I increased it anyway. 🙂

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Carlos

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.