Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Divi 4 and custom fields

This support ticket is created 4 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 4 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi,

Such a pain this latest issue with divi 4. I have read all the support tickets I can find and understand the issues, I think.

I sent this to Divi support:

*****Start message to divi*****

I have been using divi and toolset for nearly 3 years now. I have 20+ sites built with them most with multiple custom post types, custom taxonomies and custom fields.
I just upgraded to lifetime as an avid divi supporter but discovered that the theme builder does not recognize and custom field types from toolset.
I looked into this and discovered it isn't just toolset it is acf and pods as well and people are saying it is for these reasons.

this comment
"I tested this myself and it worked fine. Keep in mind that is you use “private” keys (starting with an underscore) Divi will not recognize the fields.
Other than that, Divi doesn’t check ACF / Pods or any custom fields handler. It merely fetches all available meta keys from the database (not regarding any plugin) so there shouldn’t be a difference in using Pods or ACF."
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/custom-field-and-divi-4-template/

So i wondered
1. what your time frame is on first retrieving custom meta such as fields and taxonomies from other custom post types?
and
2. working with the views plugin and other plugins. Which is to do with allowing dynamic html. See this comment from the same link I shared above
"1. iframes in dynamic content are not supported:
Pods field like oEmbed generate HTML. This is in Divi not allowed for dynamic content. Even if you enable HTML in the dynamic content settings it sill runs the code through wp_kses_post which removes HTML elements like iframes etc.
https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_kses_post/
2. oEmbed URL’s in dynamic content are not supported:
If you switch to a regular URL/Text field and add the YouTube url there it still won’t show a YouTube embed since dynamic content in Divi doesn’t support shortcodes and other automatic WP handling like oEmbeds.
In short, this isn’t a Pods issue but a Divi issue since it doesn’t support oEmbed in dynamic content at all."

*****End message to divi*****

Is there anything else I should add?

This has caused me such a roadblock right now. I am not blaming anyone as we all have to progress but I have about 4 days to think of a solution and sadly if divi doesn't work with any custom fields plugin then I cannot build these websites with divi.

I also use wpocean, does that work well with toolset?

Do you have any themes you work closely with?

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for raising your concerns to the Divi team and for sharing the update with us.

This is exactly what we recommend to our common users that the importance of maintaining compatibility with the Toolset should be communicated.
( ref: https://toolset.com/2019/10/toolset-and-divi-4-issues/ )

You'll find a useful summary of where we're at the moment and what to expect moving forward regarding Toolset and Divi compatibility, in this thread:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/shortcode-not-inserted-in-divi/

If you're open to alternatives, OceanWP, Astra and GeneratePress are all good candidates ( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/ ) and are known to work well with Toolset, out-of-the-box.

I hope this helps.

regards,
Waqar

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, divi where fairly quick in responding to and they led me to do some further testing...

This is what I found and reported to divi whilst testing:

There are 3 issues:

1. Divi text module will not allow you to add toolset short codes into the text editor anymore, you click the button and the menu appears, choose your shortcode, it looks like it is going to work and nothing happens although if you do add the shortcode manually it works fine in the visual builder and on the front end. This is on all post types.

2. you cannot physically see a render any custom fields or "toolset views" in the theme builder although they will render on the front end as far as I can see they views can recoginise the post id and display the correct data.

3. If you disable the latest divi experience you can still build dynamic divi templates on the front end and use the builder in the toolset content template but it is very slow!!!....

I have managed to use shortcodes and divi dynamic content to display custom fields and custom html via shortcode in the divi theme builder with the only issue being nothing is rendered to style in the builder only on the front end.

I even created a view with a filter and then put a view within it that had a shortcode for another view which was dependent on knowing which post was in the loop and it all seemed to display correctly. when added to a text module in the theme builder on an archive layout. (i hope that makes sense)

Next week I will be testing relationship dependent filters and maps. I hope it goes as well as today.

Can I leave the post open to report my findings?

Thanks

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for sharing the update.

Can you please share temporary admin login details for a website that you used for testing? This will allow me to see how everything was set up and which versions were used to be able to reproduce these 3 issues on my own test website.
( I've set your next reply as private )

As for the reports of any other issues, I'll recommend using separate tickets for each of them.

We recommend filling a new ticket for each new question, concern or issue since this makes follow-up easier and more efficient for everyone ( ref: https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy/ ).

regards,
Waqar

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.