Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Displaying custom taxonomy terms in a custom taxonomy archive

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Display child terms in taxonomy archive page.

Solution:

You can create the taxonomy view with classic editor, For example:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/displaying-custom-taxonomy-terms-in-a-custom-taxonomy-archive/#post-2180777

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 2 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by kostasT 2 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Hi,

I want to create a taxonomy archive that will display the following:

Case 1: If the taxonomy has children -> display the children terms (custom fields like name, description, image)
Case 2: If the taxonomy hasn't children -> display taxonomy archive (custom posts that belong in this term)

I read a lot of your documentation and I understand that Toolset doesn't support the creation of this archive using the block editor. I tried to use the legacy "Views" alternative but I didn't understand how to use the old editor. I check this

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/displaying-wordpress-term-fields/#displaying-term-fields-with-views-without-writing-any-code

but it is not detailed.

I had used Toolset in the past and there was extensive documentation on that editor. I understand that you are mitigating all the documentation to the new block editor support, but there are a lot of limitations to functionality yet.

Any help is appreciated!

tax-view.JPG

Hello,

Yes, you are right, you can create the taxonomy view with classic editor.

For example:
Dashboard-> Toolset-> Views, click button "Add New", create a new taxonomy view:
- Query terms of your taxonomy
- Filter by:
Parent is the term of the current taxonomy archive page
See my screenshot tax-view.JPG
- In the view's loop, display the term's information

Ok, I understand.

Regarding my request on the legacy documentation. Is it available?

The legacy documentation was removed, if you need more assistance for it, please provide a test site with the same problem, fill below private message box with login details, also point out the problem page URL and WordPress Archive URL, I can setup a demo for you.

Thanks for the details, I can login into your website, and have done below modifications in your website:
1) Create a Toolset WordPress Archive for the taxonomy "Products Categories":
hidden link
In view's loop, display the post link, you can add more fields into the loop

2) Above the loop, add a "Field and text" block, display the taxonomy view shortcode:
[wpv-view name="laboratory-categories"]

Test it in frontend, it works fine

More help:
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-a-custom-archive-page/

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.