Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Displaying Archive Filters in a Sidebar next to Loop Results

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by susanW-2 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author
UNC-library-places-to-study-facet-sidebar-example-20230517.png

We're trying to create a template layout for a custom type where the list of checkbox filters are displayed in a sidebar to the left of the query loop results. This is similar to many commercial sites, such as Amazon, with a faceted search to the side instead of at the top. Unfortunately I don't see a clear way to separate the WordPress Archive Search block from the Output block, aside from heavily customizing the CSS.

My hope is that we've missed some obvious option for calling just the search block facets as a view or something into the left sidebar (we're using the Astra theme). If so, I'd be pleased to hear it. I've attached a mockup of what we're trying build. Our site is currently in development in a private space, but I'm happy to send further screenshots of where we are with this layout.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

screens-archive-layout.png

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

Displaying the search form/filters and results, separately, is possible for views ( ref: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-a-custom-search/#display-the-search-box-and-search-results-side-by-side ), but not for the WordPress Archives.
(since they both are loaded together on archive pages)

For archives, you can set the page itself to have full-width content (i.e. no sidebar). And in the archive editor, add a grid block with two columns/cells. You can then drag and drop the 'WordPress Archive Search' block in the first cell and the 'WordPress Archive Output' block in the other.
( example screenshot attached )

This way, the search filters, and the search results will show in two columns, side-by-side.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need further assistance.

regards,
Waqar

Thanks! That's what we ended up doing and it's working fine. I appreciate your help!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.