Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom markers per address with Maps

This support ticket is created 8 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by scottL-3 8 years ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
custom-map.jpg

I am trying to: show a unique marker for each address on a map

I do this in custom code now. I generate a .png label and show it as an icon (in lieu of a marker) on the map. Marker titles don't work well for mobile users because they can't hover so icons with text in them work better.

At a minimum, it would be good to be able to set a marker icon for each address in Toolset Maps. Better yet would be for Toolset Maps to have the ability to generate text labels as icons based on text the admin enters for the label and some plugin-wide settings for appearance of labels / icons.

You can get an idea what I'm looking for by looking at this custom map I generate through javascript and the Google API: hidden link

I'd like to be able to do that with Toolset Maps and Views.

Dear scott,

I think it is possible within Toolset maps plugin
Q1) I generate a .png label and show it as an icon (in lieu of a marker) on the map.
You can setup a google map with with your own marker icon, see our document:
Displaying WordPress Content on Google Maps
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/display-on-google-maps/#marker-icon
Section "Customizing the marker icons"

Q2) Marker titles don't work well for mobile users because they can't hover so icons with text in them work better.
We did not get similar report yet, you can test and feedback if there is any problem

Q3) At a minimum, it would be good to be able to set a marker icon for each address in Toolset Maps
Yes, you can disable the cluster feature, and display each address as a marker icon
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/display-on-google-maps/#attachment_346609
section "Grouping close markers into clusters"

Q4) Better yet would be for Toolset Maps to have the ability to generate text labels as icons based on text the admin enters for the label and some plugin-wide settings for appearance of labels / icons.
Unfortunately, there isn't such a feature within Toolset map plugin. but I can put it into our to-do list as a feature request.

I think you mis-understood my Q3. What I meant was I'd like to be able to assign a file as the icon for each post/address. I know I can have a separate marker for each post but if they're all in the same loop, it is the same marker icon for all. I'd like to show icons with labels on them so if I had the ability to upload an icon when adding a map address to a post and you'd show that icon on the map for that post, it'd solve my need.

Similarly, in Q1, you say I can assign my own icons, which is true, but in a loop, I cannot pick a different icon for each post being added to the map. The current ability seems designed to use the same marker for all items matching loop selection (all the houses, for example could have one icon while all the commercial buildings could have another) but not so that each house could have a different marker icon.

I realize these are all enhancement requests. I have removed Toolset's Maps from my client's site for now and used my custom code which does what I need. If you greatly enhance the marker icon capabilities and make one infowindow close when another opens I'll be able to reconsider Toolset for this part of the solution in the future.

You can simply create a custom image field "marker-icon", use it to upload/store the marker icon of each post, and display with Types shortcode in Views loop as address marker, for example:

[wpv-post-title][wpv-map-marker map_id="map-6" marker_id="marker-6" address="new york" marker_icon="[types field="marker-icon" output="raw"][/types]"][wpv-post-title][/wpv-map-marker]

This looks promising. I suggest adding it to the Maps documentation. I still have the issue that opening an infowindow by clicking a marker doesn't close another infowindow (there are multiple other support threads on that issue so don't include it in this one) but this moves me closer to being able to use Toolset Maps.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.