Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom fields groups are not being shown in types menu

This support ticket is created 7 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by John 7 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am trying to create new custom fields groups, but after 'saving' them, they are not showing neither in types menu nor in any post type. I have checked the database, and the group is there. However, in WordPress it is not linked to any post type. This just started happening and I have ruled out plugin conflicts. I cannot create new field groups, no matter what I name them.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Jonathan

Is this a new or existing site?

It is not something I can reproduce so I'm looking for clues as to what might be causing it.

Have you checked the browser console for errors?

If you haven't already can you turn on debugging and check for PHP errors and warnings?

Edit your wp-config.php file and change the line with WP_DEBUG like so:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

That will create a debug.log file in your wp-content directory which you can examine in any text editor. Try visiting the same page to save a custom fields group and then inspect the log. If you don't find the debug.log file it means it didn't generate any warnings or errors.

Hello Nigel,

Sorry for the delay in response.

This is an existing site, but fairly new Toolset install.

Yes. I have checked the console, but not seeing any errors. Also, I have turned on debug mode and am not getting any errors in the log.

Any other ideas?

Nigel
Supporter

I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it.

I think I should take a copy of your site for testing to examine the problem.

I will mark your next reply as private so that I can get log-in credentials from you—you may want to create a temporary admin user for me to use that you can later delete. And be sure to have a current backup of your site, even though I don't intend to make any changes other than to temporarily add a backup plugin to take a snapshot of the site.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Jonathan

I made a duplicate of your site and installed it locally and it appears to be working fine there.

I did see a problem on your site.

I was able to create and save a new Post fields group that I assigned to standard WP Posts with a test custom field.

But when I went to edit a post the UI for entering the custom field was missing.

But that's not the case with the test site installed locally.

That points to some server setting that may be the culprit, though there is certainly nothing obvious in your debug info to explain it.

Are you able to fire up a new server and transfer the site to it?

That is strange. I cloned the site on the same server. The missing field group is now showing, but when I add a new one, it does not show.

Nigel
Supporter

Can you do what I did and make a duplicate on a different server and re-test?

Even if that is making a local copy?

If it is specific to the server you are using and migrating to a different server is not an option, I may need to call in some help in debugging the problem.

Hello Nigel,

I am having trouble making a local copy. The domain keeps transferring to https. Did you have this issue?

Nevermind, Nigel. I figured that part out.

I am able to create field groups on my local copy and the field groups are showing in the Post Fields list.

What do I need to do now?

Nigel
Supporter

I'm checking in with colleagues about what to do next and will get back to you...

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Jonathan

The feedback I have is to upgrade the server setting for MaxInputVars.

At 1000 according to the debug info you provided that doesn't look low to me, but the values our debug tool pick up are not always accurate.

If you could try raising that on your live server to see if it helps and let me know either way.

Hello Nigel,

Thanks. I updated that number to 3,000, see here: hidden link

Still, the field groups do not show in the list.

Nigel
Supporter

I suspected that might not help because you don't have much content yet and not that many custom fields defined.

Am I right in thinking that you two versions of the site with the problem so that you can use one for testing?

Hey Nigel,

Yes. I have 2 version on the same server; one that I can use for testing.

Nigel
Supporter

Sorry for the work involved but as the problem exists only with your current site on that server it is not very easy to debug.

So, on the more disposable of your sites, could you simply delete all of the existing custom field groups and start over?

Try adding a new custom field group and see it is possible and works as expected.

If you still have the issue, I wonder if the database has somehow been corrupted.

Could you try again on the same server with a fresh installation?

You could probably use a WordPress database reset plugin (such as https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-database-reset/) as all the Toolset settings etc. are stored in standard WordPress tables.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.