Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom fields groups are not being shown in types menu

This support ticket is created 7 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by John 7 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I definitely think I will need to reset the database. I am no longer able to delete field groups either. :-/

Will that plugin allow me to reset only certain things in the db without losing everything on the site? If so, what should I delete?

I just reset the whole database on my test site and am no longer able to get into the site. "Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page."

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

No the plugin resets the entire database as if you had just installed WordPress leaving you with just your Hello World! post and Sample Page page.

That's why I was asking if you had two versions of the site on the same server to test with, because one of them you are going to lose everything, but it will at least tell us whether the problem is that something has gone wrong, e.g. database corrupted, on your site, or whether there is a problem with server which means it wouldn't matter whether we started from scratch or not we would still have the same issue.

Nigel
Supporter

OK, sorry, I'm not sure what happened.

Can you kill that install and spin up a brand new WordPress install and try installing Toolset plugins afresh and starting over..?

Hi Nigel,

Fresh install on the same server and the issue is not present. It must be a database problem then, right? :-/

If so, what should I do?

Nigel
Supporter

I don't recall you having a lot of content yet on the site.

You could export the Toolset data for your custom posts types etc etc and import them into the fresh install. But the risk is that you might export the problem, too.

Is it too much for you to manually set up again? Like, you only have one property post as far as I can see.

If you are willing to do that, be sure to re-test the issue periodically so that if it recurs you may know what triggered it.

I can't do that Nigel. I have spent a lot of time on the site design, etc. Not just the Toolset stuff. 🙁

Hello Nigel,

Is there nothing else I can do? Is there a way to only remove the Toolset tables from the database?

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Jonathan

Sorry, I have been juggling several very involved tickets and dividing my time between them.

So, to recap, you have the original site installation, which shows the problem, and a fresh WordPress install on the same server which doesn't show the problem, correct?

But on the second site there is little to no content so we can't rule out that there is still a problem with the server configuration.

Aside from getting your hosting company to further increase the memory settings and max input vars I'm not sure what alternative there is that doesn't involve moving to a different server (you could ask your host to move your site to a different physical server) or re-building the site to some extent.

Perhaps on your second site you could reproduce your Toolset settings (i.e. your custom post types, custom fields etc. etc.) and when you have done that export your content from the first site (use Tools > Export) and import it into the second site.

That should port over the lion's share of your site without simply duplicating the database. Before spending time tinkering to fix anything missing you could re-test the issue.

Hello Nigel!

I was able to figure this one out, finally! I noticed that after a few days, the post field groups would show in the list. That lead me to believe there was a caching issue. Then I checked, and found that I had Memcached enabled on the server. I flushed the cache and all of my testing Post Field groups appeared!

Thank you so much for all your time spent on this with me!

Wow. Glad I found this post. Ran around in circle for a while, then cleared my cache.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.