Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom Field slug already used

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.72 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by fahimS-2 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I had a custom field called URL with slug 'deal-url' in a custom field group. I deleted the custom field. Now when I create any custom field with the same slug 'deal-url' Toolset says 'Custom Field slug already used'. What can I do?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To restore or permanently delete an already created custom field that has been removed from its field group, you can visit the "Post Field Control" section.
( you'll see its button at the bottom of the custom fields groups management screen at WP Admin -> Toolset -> Custom Fields )

In order to recreate a custom field with the same slug, you'll have to remove it from this section first.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need further assistance.

regards,
Waqar

Hi, thanks for your assistance.

How can I restore a deleted custom field? I can't find any button for it.

Also is it possible to change the type of a custom field. I tried the 'Change type' button, but I can't change the type.

What does the 'stop managing with types' button do? I couldn't find any usefulness of it.

If I permanently delete a custom field, will all the data, and columns in the Custom Field Table get deleted?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thanks for writing back.

> How can I restore a deleted custom field? I can't find any button for it.
- In the 'Post Field Control' section, you'll see the option 'Change assignment', when hovering over the available fields.

You can use that option to assign the removed/deleted custom field, back to its original field group or to some other field group.

Here is a quick screen capture showing how it works:
hidden link

> Also is it possible to change the type of a custom field. I tried the 'Change type' button, but I can't change the type.
- Changing the type of a custom field will work for more straightforward types like a single line, multiple lines, etc.

For complex field types which have options like checkbox, checkboxes, radio buttons, etc, you'll have to permanently delete them and then add them back again, to use the same slug.

> What does the 'stop managing with types' button do? I couldn't find any usefulness of it.
- It is useful for cases where custom fields that were not created using Toolset Types, were previously taken into Toolset control, but are no longer needed.

> If I permanently delete a custom field, will all the data, and columns in the Custom Field Table get deleted?
- Yes, in this case, Toolset will remove that field's data (i.e. individual entries in the "wp_postmeta" table) from the database too.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.