Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Create two archive pages of the same content type

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I'm trying to create two differently designed archive pages for the same (custom) post type. But it seems that with Toolset Blocks you can create only one. With Toolset Views that was never a problem.

Since I can't install both, do I need to uninstall Blocks, install Views and recreate my main archive in Views and then the second page? Or did I miss some functionality in Blocks that makes it possible to create multiple archives of the same post type?

Thanks in advance

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

If you're using the Blocks-based editor to create your archive, you can use the conditional blocks to show different content as needed.

However, if you'd prefer to use the classic/legacy editor, you can use that while the Toolset Blocks plugin is active too. You won't have to replace it with the Toolset Views plugin.
( at the core, the Toolset Blocks and the Views plugin are the same )

Please go to WP Admin -> Toolset -> Settings -> General, and for "Editing experience", select the option "Show both the legacy and Blocks interface and let me choose which to use for each item I build".

After that, you'll be able to select which type of editor to use for the content templates and the archives, from the same settings page.

Note: You'll also see the option to switch the editor type, on the editor screens of the existing content templates and archives too. This switching will reset the content though and you'll have to start from the scratch.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need further assistance.

regards,
Waqar

Thank you, but I'm not sure I understand.

I need two pages:

1. a grid of classes with photo's, on the path /classes
2. a list of classes in plain text, on the path /classes-list

If I create the first it works fine, If I create the second, it works fine as well in preview, but I can't set the path, and the first version get's "detached" from the archive. I understand from your answer that I can still use shortcodes. How does that work? I see blocks for views, but there aren't any (of course).

And conditional blocks don't seem to be a solution as well. How do I refer to the archive that I created? Or should I build it on the page?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thanks for writing back and for sharing further details.

Earlier, I thought you plan to show a different content layout at the same post-type archive URL. But it is clear now, that you need two different URLs ( '/classes' & '/classes-list' ).

WordPress allows only a single URL for a post-type archive, so this will require some workaround. A simple one would be keeping the archive at '/classes' and creating a new regular page 'Classes List' ( with slug 'classes-list' ).

On this page, you can create a post view that shows the list of the posts in this same post type, in the desired layout/format.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.