Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Complete Uninstall Toolset Access

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author

Hello,

we are using your Toolset Access (and Toolset Types) Plugin in one of our wordpress installations.

By the Toolset Access plugin we manage the permissions for the The Events Calendar Plugin. We assigned the permissions to publish, edit, delete events to adminstrators, editors, authors and others.

For testing purposes we want to deactivate (unistall) the Toolset Access plugin.

But when we deactivate the toolset access plugin, we observe that it is not possible to add/create new events, The Link/button for adding/publishing new events is not shown in the The Events Calendar Plugin area even for users with adminstrative roles.

We also pressed the button for resetting the database contents in the Toolset Access plugin.

So we think that the permissions formerly held and handled by the Toolset Access plugin are not completely returned to WordPress.

Could you give us a hint how to solve the issue?

Many thanks for your support

best wishes

Chin-Man

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To confirm, you've used the option "Reset Access settings" at WP Admin -> Toolset -> Settings -> Access, and the issue with the permissions, still persists?

If yes, can you please check if the website has some other third-party plugin or custom code, that can interfere with the default WordPress permissions and capabilities?

To troubleshoot this, I'll suggest the following steps:

1. Please make sure that WordPress, active theme and plugins are all updated to the latest versions.

2. It would be interesting to test this with all extra plugins disabled and a default theme like Twenty Twenty-One.

If it's fixed, you can start adding the disabled items, one-by-one, to narrow down to a possible conflicting one.

I hope this helps and please let me know how it goes.

regards,
Waqar

Hello Waqar,

many thanks for your reply.

We are currently working on two installation our productive site dff.film and a testing/staging site.

On the staging site we have already worked through the steps, we pressed the button for resetting the access settings  and deactivated the plugin and all other plugins.
We switched to the default theme Twenty-Twenty-One.

After deactivating all plugins except the The Events Calendar Plugin we made the observation that the "Adding"- link/button for events in The Events Calendar Plugin wasn't available both for administrators and editors.

Only after activating the Toolset Access Plugin (and restoring the setting data) the Link/Button for adding events appeared again.
But still it was not possible to publish events as an editor. The event date was set to the current timestamp and the event was marked as passed and didn't appear in the Calendar view of The Events Calendar Plugin.

In the staging environment we installed an old version of the Toolset Access plugin (Version 2.7.5 ) . After installing and activating this old version of the plugin the whole staging site crashed. Only after renaming the directory of the Toolset Access Plugin we gained access to the site again.

Today we made the observation that in the staging site it is possible for WordPress-Editors to add new valid events with an event date in the future.

So would it be a possible solution to install/activate an old version of the Toolset Access Plugin and then to disable it?

Could you give us further hints what could be the cause for our issue?

best wishes

Chin-Man

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing these findings.

Have you tried adding a new user with the "Editor" or "Administrator" role and testing the event publishing through that?
( it is possible that the capabilities/privileges of the existing users on the website have been affected )

In case the issue still persists, you're welcome to share temporary admin login details of the staging website, for further troubleshooting. I'll also need your permission to download a clone/snapshot of the website, in case it needs to be investigated on a different server.

Note: Your next reply will be private and making a complete backup copy is recommended before sharing the access details.

Hello Waqar,

many thanks for your answer.

We created on the productive site a user with status Editor. This user can't create valid events (the events are always assigned the current timestamp and aren't visible in the calendar view).
The problem still persists.

With adminstrative accounts we don't have any issues.

As we told in our previous post from 5th December on our staging site we somehow (coincidentally) managed to deactivate The Toolset Access plugin by installing an old version of the Toolset Access plugin and immediately deactivating this old version. For after installting the old version of the plugin the staging site crashed and wasn't accesible.

So at the moment the Toolset access plugin is deactivated in the staging site and Editors can create and publish events on the Staging site.

Maybe we shall create another copy or staging instance of the productive site and share the login details?

Another option would be to reproduce on the productive site the steps we performed on the staging site but with the danger that the site could crash.

best wishes

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for waiting.

I've performed several tests with the 'The Events Calendar' and the 'Access' plugins, but couldn't reproduce this issue. The user with the 'Editor' role was able to add/edit the events, just fine.

> Maybe we shall create another copy or staging instance of the productive site and share the login details?

- Since the issue seems to be specific to a particular website, this is the way to go. You can share temporary admin login details of the production or its staging copy and I'll see how different elements are set up. With your permission, I'll also download a clone/snapshot of the website, in case it needs to be investigated on a different server.
( no changes will be made to the actual website )

Note: I'm setting your next reply as private again.

Hello,

we shared teh admin details.

Did you have the opportunity to login into the copy of the site and to check the issue?

Many thanks in advance for your support

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for waiting as we were a little light on the coverage, due to the holidays.

I'm going to continue some testing and research around this and will get back to you, as soon as I can.

Thank you for your patience.

Hello Waqar,

many thanks.
Then we wait for the results of your testing.
We have also contacted the Events Calendar Support. They also want to check this issue.

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for waiting.

Just wanted to update you that I've been having some difficulties in deploying the website's clone on a test server due to its large database size.

I've managed to make it work now and will share further findings, as soon as this troubleshooting completes.

Thank you for your patience.

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for waiting, while I performed some testing and investigation on this matter.

Despite a number of attempts, I couldn't reproduce this issue on a clean install, which confirms that the issue was specific to this particular install.

As soon as I would deactivate the Toolset Access plugin on your website's install, I was not able to add new "Events", even while logged in as an "Administrator" user.

Interestingly, as soon as I updated the "The Events Calendar" plugin to the latest "6.0.7.1" version, the issue was fixed.

I would recommend updating the "The Events Calendar" plugin on your staging website too and you'll see that the issue is no longer reproducible.
( Likewise, it is a good practice to keep all plugins, active themes and WordPress updated to the latest version )

I hope this helps and please let me know how it goes.

Hello Waqar,

many thanks for your hints.

We also observed that after deactivating/unistalling the Tooset Access plugin there was no "Add event"-link/button for administrators. So we activated the Toolset Access plugin again.
Our original idea was to deactivate the Toolset Access plugin in order to enable the editors to publish events. For after updating the WordPress system and the plugins we have encountered the issue that editors couldn't publish events any more.

We now managed to enable the editors to create and publish events by completely deleting the The Event Calendar plugin and then installing this plugin again. After doing some configuration in the WP Bakery plugin the editors can publish events the usual way.

Could you tell us why it wasn't possible to uninstall the Tooset Access plugin so that the permissions for creating events were managed by the conventional wordpress permission system?

Do you think you can tell us what the cause for the whole issue was?

Again many thanks for your support.

best wishes

Chin-Man

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back and glad I was able to help.

Since the issue is not reproducible on a clean install, unfortunately, it would be very difficult to tell exactly what caused this temporary incompatibility.

This will need to be treated as an exception because it was experienced only on this particular website. There are a number of updates involved during the period from when you started to experience this issue, which range from, WordPress, Toolset plugins, and third-party plugins.

For example, in the changelog of the "The Events Calendar" plugin, I see some major changes introduced in version "6.0.7". Some new filters were added and some old ones were removed.
( your website's clone had version "6.0.6.2" before I applied the updates to it )

On this clone, all I had to do was to update the "The Events Calendar" plugin to fix this, so I'm inclined to the idea that one of the changes introduced in the latest versions of the plugin, is responsible for fixing the missing capability/permissions.

Hello Waqar,

OK, many thanks again for your support.

So we hope that this issue doesn't occur again.
I think we can close this ticket.

best wishes

Chin-Man

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.