Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can't save additional custom fields to custom fields group

This support ticket is created 8 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 8.83 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by yuri.s 8 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: yuri.s.

Author

I am trying to add custom fields to an already established custom fields group. I have 25 custom fields but it won't seem to save anything beyond this point.

I exported the module and imported to a basic wordpress setup with minimal plugins and updated the plugins. The issue persists.

I have tried the solutions presented here:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/cant-add-more-checkboxes/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/i-cant-add-more-fields-to-a-custom-type/

I have increased:

max_input_vars to 2000000 (was originally set at 1000000)
post_max_size to 1024M (was originally set at 10M)

This didn't seem to have any effect. I can add the custom field and click save. I will then get the dialog that types is saving, but I won't see the normal update message afterward. And refreshing clearly shows the field was not added to the group.

I will happily provide credentials via private message.

Dear Robert,

Please try this:
1) Deactivate other plugins and switch to wordpress default theme, and test again
2) Enable wordpress debug mode, copy/paste the debug logs here.
PHP Debugging
In case you think that Types or Views are doing something wrong (what we call a bug), you should enable PHP error logging. Again, edit your wp-config.php file and add the following:

ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');
This will produce a file called ‘error_log.txt’ in your WordPress root directory. Make sure that the web server can create and write this file. If it cannot, use an FTP program to create the file and make it writable to Apache (normally, user www-data).
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/debugging-types-and-views/

Hi,

I did all the tasks recommended and no errors were reported. I did verify that the debug log was writing correctly by throwing in a a few errors in the code. The View debug tool is of no use to me since this is a back end issue when attempting to save custom fields beyond the number I already have.

Any other thoughts?

There should be some debug logs in the file "error_log.txt", please make sure you have done as I mentioned above:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/cant-save-additional-custom-fields-to-custom-fields-group/#post-346000

And if the problem still persists, please try duplicate same problem in a test site, and fill below private detail box with login details and ftp access, also point out the problem page URL, thanks

Since you did not point out the problem page URL, I have tried to create new posts in both of two post types: "Mine Listings" and "Classified Listings", but I can not see any problem, you can check it in your test site, if you need more assistance for it, please describe detail steps to duplicate same problem, thanks

Hi Luoy,

To recreate the issue, go to Types-->Custom Fields. Select Mine Listings. From there add 1 or more custom fields to the group. Save.

You will notice that Saving brings up the Types Saving Changing box but does not display a Saving confirmation text at the top as it normally would. Refresh the page, and you will see that the custom fields you attempted to add are no longer there.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks!

Thanks for the details, I checked again in your website, there isn't any special PHP errors occur in the debug logs, and max_input_vars has been setup as 2k, I escalated this thread to our 2nd Tier for help, and will update this thread if there is any news.

Hello I believe I resolved the issue. The custom fields group contained 3 custom fields with extensive select options for countries, states, and provinces. I got them from a previous thread here: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/taxonomy-country/

I imported the module which contains the 3 custom fields and its own custom field group. I didn't like this so I deleted that custom field group and added the custom field to my listings group as mentioned in this thread.

In playing around with this issue, I decided to remove the 3 country custom fields from the listings group. From there I was able to add as many image custom fields as I wanted. Once I tried to add back the 3 country fields, I received an error: public_html/wp-content/plugins/types/includes/fields-form.php on line 862.

This leads me to believe that the custom fields group simply had to much information.

So I reverted to removing the 3 country fields, adding them their there own group, and associating the 2nd group to my listings post type. All seems to work now.

However, I suggest you look into it. The error can be reproduced. Simply go to the custom field group already mentioned, and try to add the countries, states, and provinces custom fields, then save. The error will show.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi Robert, thanks for the feedback on this issue.

We've experienced this issue with a couple of clients due to high amounts of custom fields and usually the max_vars update resolves it. Another influence in this is the amount of memory in your server. Shared servers may implement limited memory blocks to clients so upgrading your server may resolve this issue if it comes up again.

I'm sorry about this since it's related to how our Toolset plugins consume memory on each call but we are working hard to reduce our current memory footprint and to avoid these types of issues.

Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Regards,
Yuri.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.