Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can't create an archive with blocks

This support ticket is created 4 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by maryB-3 4 years ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author
no archive.png

Tell us what you are trying to do? create an archive

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

This is what I get when I click on add archive.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Please make sure to follow the steps in the following article, there is a video that shows step-by-step how to customize an archive page with Blocks.
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/customize-post-archives/

If you would like to create a custom template(WordPress template, a PHP file), more to know on the following articles:
- https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/creating-templates-custom-post-type-archives/
- https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/creating-taxonomy-term-archives/

I hope this helps. Otherwise, please provide more details on your use case, what you have done so far, preferably, in steps such as:
1. I go to xxx
2. I do xxx
3. I expect to have xxx
4. Instead, I get xxx

Please read my post. I'm very experienced with toolset. The issue is creating the archive doesn't bring up the blocks editor and selection. I also attached an image to show you.

Jamal
Supporter

Check-in Toolset->Settings->General what is the "Editor to use for WordPress Archives", check this screenshot hidden link

If this does not help, please check if this issue appears when:
- Only Toolset plugins are activated. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with another plugin.
- The theme is set to a WordPress default like Twenty Fourteen. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with your theme.
If the problem disappears, start activating one at the time to track where the incompatibility is produced.

If the issue still persists on a minimal configuration, I would need to access your admin area or take a copy of your website to check it further. Your next reply will be private to share credentials safely.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 11.08.22 AM.png

You have a very big conflict in your documentation, and no, that doesn't work.

Toolset Blocks is a different flavour of Toolset Views. You can not use both versions at the same time, so we have deactivated one.

I don't have views activated because of this. There is no option on general.

So... the question is, what is the CURRENT best practice. If it's blocks, make it work as expected. If it's still views, get rid of blocks.

Again, there is NO clarity. I have many sites, mostly legacy, that still use layouts/views. I was under the understanding that views are essentially deprecated. This is a new site.

Jamal
Supporter

Toolset Views and Toolset Blocks are both just the same plugin but distributed with different names. Once we activate one of them, it deactivates the other automatically.

Toolset Layouts plugin is still maintained for bug fixes but no additional features will be added to it.

To be able to check the "Editor to use for WordPress Archives" option, you will need to choose "Show both the legacy and Blocks interface and let me choose which to use for each item I build" in the "Editing experience" section.
I personally prefer this setting because, right now, not all the features of views are possible with blocks. So we can still build views with legacy views and use it inside a block(Classic, Fields and Text, View, etc.).

Toolset Views won't be deprecated in the near future until we implement all its features on blocks and we prepare a migration method for backward compatibility.

Regarding the issue of your archive pages, and from your first screenshot, the editor used is Blocks and using a classic block that holds some markup from legacy views, I wonder if this code was generated from any Toolset Blocks or copied manually?

Anyway, I would like to access your admin area and check these archives pages issues my self.
*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
Your next reply will be private to share credentials safely.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

It should maybe be documented that you need to choose the "Show both the legacy and Blocks interface and let me choose which to use for each item I build" and then click block editor in the archive.

Hi,

I think you might have a bug around this. The first custom type template I created was set to only use Blocks as per my Settings. When creating a 2nd one (maybe 3rd!) it opened in Classic mode with no way of switching. My settings remained the same - Block only. I tried creating several more templates and they all opened in Classic, despite my settings never having changed.

After reading this thread I changed the setting to allow me to swap between Classic and Block and then I was given an option to change to Blocks. Either way, it appears that it was ignoring the original setting for Block only after creating a few templates. Which sounds like a weird bug and possibly the issue above.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.