Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Cannot delete custom fields filter under Query filter

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Cannot delete custom fields filter under Query filter
It adds them back after reloading the view page and even after clicking the Yes button on "Can they also be removed from the query filtering?"

Is there any documentation that you are following?
N/A

Is there a similar example that we can see?
N/A

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

When you save the view from the view's editor screen, do you see any error or warning on the screen or in the browser's console?

If your website uses any server or database-level cache service, please test this after clearing all active caches.

In case the issue still persists, I'll need to see how this view is set up in the admin area and you're welcome to share temporary admin login details in reply to this message.

Note: Your next reply will be private and making a complete backup copy is recommended before sharing the access details.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing the access details.

While I can see the issue with the query filter deletion in your website's view "search troubleshoot", I couldn't reproduce this on my test website. Also, I tested the query filter deletion on a new test view "Test view from TS support" and it worked as expected.

This suggests there is something specific to only this particular view ( "search troubleshoot" ), is involved. Have you tried creating a new replacement view with the same settings and content?

In case the issue persists, even with the new view, I'll need your permission to download a clone/snapshot of this website, to investigate this on a different server.

Hi Waqar!

No worries and thank you as well 🙂

For the new View, yes I already created a new one and added the same content and settings but still the issue is not resolved

And for the clone, ya sure all good with that you can do it to investigate further and solve the problem

Thanks!

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for the permission and I've downloaded the website's clone.

I'm currently performing some tests on this clone and will share the findings, as soon as this testing completes.

Thank you for your patience.

Sure thing! and thank you so much as well 🙂
Hope we can solve the issue

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for waiting as we were little light on the forum coverage due to the holidays.

I've tested your website's clone on a couple of different servers and noticed that issue with the view's settings and query filter not updating, appears only when the "LiteSpeed Cache" plugin is active.

I'll recommend turning off the "Cache WP-Admin" option in the plugin's Cache -> Object settings and then testing the views again, after clearing all caches.

In case the issue still persists only with the plugin active, you can consult its official support and documentation to learn how to exclude admin-side AJAX calls from getting cached.

Hi Waqar!
Happy holidays and no worries 🙂
Thank you for looking into it!

I tried your recommendation on the site (hidden link) about turning off the "Cache WP-Admin" option in the plugin's Cache -> Object settings
but it didn't solve the issue, so I tried deactivating the LiteSpeed Cache plugin but unfortunately, it didn't solve the issue as well

I tried deleting the custom fields filter but they still come back after reloading the view page

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you again for waiting as we've been clearing some backlog after the holidays.

Just wanted to update you that I'll be resuming further troubleshooting on this today and will share the findings as soon as I can.

Thank you for your patience.

Hi Waqar!

Thank you, hope we can solve this one as soon as possible 🙂

Hi Waqar
Hope you're doing good

Just checking if we have any news on this issue?

Thank you!

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for waiting as this investigation turned out to be more complicated than initially expected.

After doing some further testing and research on my test website and on your website's clone, I was able to figure out what is happening.

A classic/legacy view's settings for the query filter are saved in the form of serialized data in a custom field meta key '_wpv_settings', with that view's post.

The same serialized data also contains information like the content, custom CSS and JS scripts added in the view's "Search and Pagination" section and the "Loop Editor" section.

In a view like "search troubleshoot" where no content template is used and there is a lot of content, CSS, and JS code saved in the "Search and Pagination" and the "Loop Editor" sections, this whole serialized string becomes too long for a single custom field record and hence it's storage and editing is affected.

To avoid a situation like this, it is a good practice to use a separate content template in views where there are a lot of query filters, loop item content, CSS, and/or JS scripts involved. This way, the serialized data in a custom field meta key '_wpv_settings' for the view will remain limited and the content of the loop item, additional CSS and JS scripts will be saved in the separate custom field meta key records, with the content template and not the view itself.
(when using a content template for the view's loop item, be sure to include custom CSS and scripts in the tabs below the loop item content template editor and not the ones under the "Search and Pagination" and the "Loop Editor" sections )

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.