We have updated discover-wp, the platform where you can experiment with Toolset plugins and manage complete Toolset demo sites. It’s got a new design and you can also now browse the list of Toolset reference sites in a comfortable way.
One of the most frequently used sites, the Classified site, has also been refreshed and simplified. Check out what’s new.
Discover-wp.com gets a new design
We’ve refreshed the design of discover-wp.com . The new design uses Toolset colors and makes the service feel like a part of Toolset.
Browsing the demo sites has become easier. All sites are listed in an easy-to-navigate grid.
You can also filter out the training sites if you are interested only in browsing the actual reference sites. Simply use the Site type filter.
By the way, everything you see on Discover-wp was built by Toolset. If there’s anything you think you might like for your website, you know it can be added with Toolset.
Changes in the Classified demo site
We’ve also updated the Classified reference site .
You told us: “ Less is more” , making a good point that our previous Classified site was using too many features. These were making the site way too complex to comprehend.
The site has got a new design. Again, we’ve some of the most popular free WordPress themes: OceanWP, GeneratePress and Astra.
All these themes are rich in customization features and you can easily control the layouts of your page elements, archives and sidebars.
We’ve significantly reduced the number of Post Types, Views, Toolset Forms, Products, Content Templates, Layouts and pages used on that site.
Now, with the limited number of Toolset elements in action, you will quickly understand the bare minimum required to build a classifieds site.
Based on your feedback, we’ve added two new Views.
- Listings on a map – the View shows the adverts on a map, where you can filter your listings according to the its location.
- Related listings – when you browse a single listing, you can see related adverts in the sidebar. In Toolset, you can choose the “connecting” point as a filter, which is the same listing category in our case.
We have retired the Toolset Classifieds plugin
Only some of you needed the extra features the Toolset Classifieds plugin provided yet the plugin was mandatory to install the Classifieds site. Relying on the plugin was causing customization and maintenance issues.
The extra functionality the plugin provided included:
- Messaging system – if you really need one, please check how you can implement it using Toolset .
- Listing packages – very few users needed it. No longer available in the new version of the site.
If you have the Toolset Classifieds plugin installed, you can still use the version you have. But the plugin is no longer available for download and won’t be maintained. We might help with some critical issues though (report these in our support forum).
Simpler but still powerful
We believe that the new changes will help you better understand the idea of a classifieds/directory site , especially if you want to build one using Toolset.
The new site is fully functional and you can do the following:
- Add free and new premium listings (integrated with WooCommerce).
- List featured ads in a slider.
- Search the ads using filters, including filtering by the distance on a map.
- Advertisers can submit, edit and delete the listings through the front-end forms (they are the only ones with permission to manage them).
- Browse the listing categories in a category tree, which is fully customizable.
- Set up the ad expiry date automatically.
- Create custom email notifications .
The site is also available in the multilanguage version(a good opportunity to see how to use Toolset with WPML )
And last but not least, you can easily turn the listings into anything : hotels, restaurants, lists of doctors in your neighborhood or any other type.
Every single piece of the site can be easily changed by you. It’s used Toolset after all, which brings custom post types under your control.