Create a membership site with Toolset – new tutorials available
We have released a series of tutorials on how to create a membership sites using Toolset. Beginners will learn how to create custom roles, custom signup and login forms, lost password pages and how to restrict access for certain pages or custom post types. Advanced Toolset users will see more advanced applications of Toolset features, such as using child forms, to allow members to sign up for different activities.
- What is a membership site?
- Setting up user roles
- Restricting access to content
- Restricting read access to a Custom Post Type
- Restricting read access to specific posts or pages
- Restricting read access to some parts of the articles
- Restricting access to video tutorials
- Restricting access to downloadable files
- Allowing members to sign up for special activities
- Handling user registration and account management
- User registration
- Login form and account management
- Custom Lost password pages
- Charging fees for membership
- Charging fees for time unlimited memberships
- Handling recurring payments
Vote for new features
When working on this series we identified several features Toolset is missing.
Here are some examples:
- With CRED User Forms it is not possible to change the role. Implications:
- There is no way to automatically upgrade the subscriptions (e.g. from the Premium to the VIP membership).
- You cannot approve user signups directly from the front-end (e.g. to change the Subscriber role to a higher one). You need to do this from the WordPress admin.
- CRED User Forms don’t have the “expire” feature which Post forms have. Implications: to create time-limited accounts (subscriptions that automatically expire) you need to buy and use the WooCommerce Subscription plugin.
- When CRED User Forms are used along with WooCommerce (to charge fees for creating accounts/adding posts) users need to enter some data twice (email, first and last name)
- There is no easy way to automatically renew an expired post created with a CRED Post Form if you want to charge fees for doing so.
- You cannot create a custom search based on users. Implications: you need to “mimic” user profiles with a CPT, which causes issues.
Developing new features takes time and we would like to use that time effectively. You, as our Toolset users, now better than us which features matter most.
Please use the comments to let us know which of the features listed above you would like to see in Toolset and what other features you find lacking in Toolset for creating membership sites.
If you like the new series, please let us know as well.